Some "relative newbie" questions

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Auric__, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Auric__

    Auric__ Guest

    Hey, remember me? The guy with the iMac OS8.6 CD, tried to use it on a
    7300 a couple of months back? Well, I'm going to go ahead and buy a CD,
    and I got some more questions for you folks...

    1) Where the f$%& can I find OS8 or OS9 on the cheap? The lowest I've
    found is US$70, and that's more than a little out of my computer budget.
    (For comparison, I can get WinXP PE for US$4, and of course Linux and
    BSD for *free*.)

    2) During my previous thread, it was pointed out that my 7300 can go as
    high as 9.1 without hackery. If I go with 9.1, will my system run like a
    486 running windows XP (i.e. slower than molasses in Antarctica during
    winter, if at all)?

    3) Anyone have a good link to a tutorial about getting ethernet and
    TCP/IP working acceptably on OS7.6 (since that's what I have right now)?

    3a) How about getting files from a Windows, Linux, or Netware server?

    3b) I don't suppose there's an free (and preferably easy) way for OS7.6
    to support NetBIOS/NetBEUI, is there? IPX/SPX?

    4) What's a good place for freeware/shareware Mac apps? (A *good* place
    please, not just *a* place.)

    5) RealBasic on the Mac - anyone have any experience with this? (I know
    this is off-topic here, sorry.) I tried it on Windows a short while back
    and was just not impressed, but the "write once, deploy frickin'
    EVERYWHERE" concept appeals to me.

    Umm... think that about covers it, for now... <g>

    Auric__, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Auric__

    RPS Guest

    Ebay? Try http://tinyurl.com/27w66 . There are a few candiates.