    I need five to create a black hole ... the Fifth Element .

    bobwatts
    EartH

    Robert E. Watts, Nov 29, 2010

  2. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    Are you saying that PB went to its demise down a black hole? Maybe they
    went into a worm hole instead and ended up in an alternate universe...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 30, 2010

  3. Robert E. Watts

    Tom Lake Guest

    Are you saying that PB went to its demise down a black hole? Maybe they
    went into a worm hole instead and ended up in an alternate universe...

    Demise? What demise? PB is in its third incarnation now and doing well
    in Europe. You probably don't remember the first Packard Bell. They made
    radios and minicomputers (yes!) The second PB made microcomputers and
    is the one that most people here in the USA came to know and hate.

    Brochure for one of the first PB computers:

    http://www.dvq.com/ads/pb_250_dm_11_61.jpg

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Nov 30, 2010
  4. Hi Ben ( and Tom )

    Nope, it's just a hobby I have.
    Creating chaos, carnage, confusion, and other things that start with "C".
    ( I do "D" next week )

    Much like the movie "The Fifth Element", I figure that if I can get five of
    these things together in one spot, I can get a lot more done. At least
    before the weekend chores anyway.

    Not to worry, anyone with a Packard Bell in the basement is protected. I
    think.....

    bobwatts
    EartH

    Robert E. Watts, Nov 30, 2010
  5. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    IIRC, the PB now doing business in Europe has nothing in common with the
    2nd US-based PB except the name. Same as the 2nd PB is like the
    original in name only. Names can be bought and sold like any other
    tangible or intangible goods.

    The irony about PB #2 is that some of the computers had high-quality
    components inside. The motherboards inside PB systems made by Intel
    were very good. LPX form factor, yes. But good.

    For the most part, what cemented PB's reputation for selling junk was
    its reliance on the worst possible power supplies designed to run
    exactly what shipped with a computer and no more. A number of years
    ago, I attempted a memory upgrade of a PB system. I installed memory
    that met the specs, the computer would run for a half hour and then shut
    down with a VERY hot power supply. Why? The wattage drawn by the
    additional memory was just enough to push the power supply wattage above
    the design limits.

    In recent years, eMachines followed the same approach of cheapo Bestec
    power supplies and acquired a similarly tarnished reputation until
    acquired by Gateway, in turn bought up by Acer. Not sure what goes
    inside an eMachines (Acer-eGateMachines?) these days, but I won't
    recommend buying one, except to my worst enemies.

    To make life even more interesting, HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario
    consumer-oriented desktops use power supplies by the same lamentable
    Bestec. Yep! Power supply failures that take out the motherboards,
    just like eMachines. HPaq BUSINESS desktops often have high grade power
    supplies from Delta and other reputable suppliers.

    Bottom line here is that consumers often get screwed by computer
    manufacturers, but businesses do not. After all, if I order 1000
    computers and they don't work, 1000 of them will be on the loading dock
    tomorrow to be returned to the mfr. But so what if a consumer's
    computer fails? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 1, 2010
  6. Robert E. Watts

    Captainbob

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2010
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Princeton, MN, USA
    Ben-- According to Wikipedia, the european Parkard Bell is owned by Acer. Here is the quote from wiki- "In January 2008, Acer announced that it had acquired a controlling interest of 75% in the parent company of Packard Bell due to rights that it had acquired when it purchased Gateway, enabling Acer to counter offer any third party bid on Packard Bell.[15] Packard Bell is now in the same corporate family as Gateway, a former competitor." So now we are talking Acer-eGatePackardBellMachines.
    --TheCaptain

    Captainbob, Dec 1, 2010