Sony GDM20D11 on a Sun

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Ross Hall, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Ross Hall

    Ross Hall Guest

    Hi,
    I have been given a Silicon Graphics 20D11 monitor which due to the
    rear connector I assumed would hook up to my Sun workstation. The
    monitor shows a green light for the power on and a yellow light
    indicating maybe it's in power saving mode - not a sign of any video
    image when running on the Sun.

    After a bit of digging have found out that Sun and SGI have different
    video sync systems. I have found a web page with instructions for
    soldering a 10k resister to change the syncing type.

    The question is - would the monitor show any sign of video image if it
    had the wromg sync. I was going to get the monitor repaired, but if it's
    only a sync problem I will do the mod. I don't have an SGI machine to do
    a proper test.

    Thanks in advance

    Ross

    Ross Hall, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Ross Hall

    CJT Guest

    I believe having the wrong sync would result in the behavior you
    observed.

    CJT, Sep 5, 2003