    supposed to have a 40GB harddisk (Hitachi). But it has C and D drives
    of 13.6 and 18.9 GB, accounting for 32.5GB! Where's my 7.5 GB? Any
    idea how I can recover it? Anyone faced the same problem before?

    PN, Jan 29, 2004

  2. PN

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Probably a compressed 'recovery' partition, that lets it take the
    laptop back to the origianl state.

    Ian Stirling, Jan 29, 2004

  3. PN

    Dan Koren Guest

    Get yourself a copy of PartitionMagic and examine the drive.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Jan 29, 2004
  4. PN

    Quaoar Guest

    IIRC, the drive is reported as 37.5MB decimal and 39.7 Binary on most
    Sonys with the Hitachi drive. Sony does not use a recovey partition
    unless they have very recently changed. In My Computer, right click the
    drive, select properties. The Capacity has in the center bytes entry
    the decimal capacity (1MB = 1,000,000 bytes). The capacity in the
    rightmost GB entry is binary gigabytes and will be smaller (1MB =
    1024*1024 bytes) than the decimal representation. Drive vendors use the
    decimal representation since it is a larger number and enhances their
    marketing.

    Quaoar, Jan 30, 2004
  5. sony does use a recovery partition, if you make the recovery cd's when you
    first run the laptop, you can then recover the lost space used my the
    recovery partition, go to controll panel , then administrative tools, then
    computer management, then storage , then disc management, you will then see
    you missing hard drive space.

    Jerry A. Valentino, Jan 30, 2004