    when removed from the computer). I also hear the same type of noise
    that goes away when you pull the battery on a PCG-Z505LS and a brand
    new VGN-A290. I don't know about battery drain on those models.

    jcbkarl, Dec 27, 2004

  2. jcbkarl

    larwe Guest

    Well, obviously a switching DC power supply is running when you have
    the battery plugged in. Maybe this unit is the type that has no
    separate CMOS backup battery, and this switcher is powering the CMOS
    RAM among other things.

    larwe, Dec 27, 2004

  3. jcbkarl

    Quaoar Guest

    A few thoughts: CMOS battery is failing and the main battery is
    continuously trying to charge it; failing capacitor on the start button
    circuit that the battery is continuously charging; the battery charge
    control chip is drawing power on its own which is normal. OK, then are
    you sure the laptop is not in standby or hybernation (sorry, but its a
    possibility)?

    What is the current battery life compared to the original life? The
    battery drain could be normal but only noticeable because of a
    significant decrease in total available capacity with age.

    These type of high-pitched noises are typical of capacitors, even if not
    failing. When shut down, laptops circuits are still powered to some
    extent (especially the battery control circuits, internal and laptop),
    there is current leakage that is small but measureable over time,
    batteries will lose charge from internal faults and normal leakage.
    IOW, there might not be anything to worry about.

    Quaoar, Dec 27, 2004
  4. jcbkarl

    jcbkarl Guest

    Thanks for the replies - these kind of answers sound logical to me.
    Pretty sure laptop is off - gets turned off with standard Windows XP
    shutdown procedure. It has to reboot back up when you turn it on. At
    least it's as off as I can make it.

    Battery life is same as when computer was new and actually, computer
    has done this since new. I initially used the computer so often, I
    never noticed any drain. When I discovered the battery draining, I (as
    well as Sony tech support) blamed the battery. The 30 day battery
    warranty was over, so I just lived with it. Besides, the operating
    battery life seemed proper. It wasn't until I eventually got an
    additional battery and owned the thing long enough, that I was sure the
    computer was draining the battery. The picturebook has such a small
    battery anyway that a very small drain will be much more noticeable
    than on a bigger notebook.

    I'm suspecting that this is just how Sony's are - that's why I'm asking
    if others can hear this noise too. When I called Sony tech to ask them
    if that noise was normal on that brand new A290, they said "not normal,
    send in for repair" , but the guy I spoke to sounded like he didn't
    know, care, or could even comprehend what I was saying. I'm not going
    to bother sending it back unless I'm pretty sure something is wrong.
    Sony said they didn't have any laptops there that they could listen to.

    jcbkarl, Dec 27, 2004
  5. jcbkarl

    Quaoar Guest

    You might take this to http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony where
    other owners might have some relevant information.

    Quaoar, Dec 27, 2004