Sony PCG K25 Vaio _SUCKS_

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by John E, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. John E

    John E Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I just bought a brand new Sony PCG K25, 15.4". It has the following
    problems that are design related, not just defaults in my unit:

    1- Battery charged 100%, run the CD player with AUDIO, not DVD. It
    ran out of battery in 27 minutes. I drained the battery hoping it
    would improve,
    and repeated the test: 27 minutes again.

    2- The battery cover takes 4ever to close. Took me a good 15 minutes go
    close
    the battery cover.

    3- The AC/DC converter is GIANT and super heavy. It weighs like an entire
    15" typical laptop.

    4- The laptop itself is too thick , and super heavy. So carrying it around
    with its battery+converter
    is a considerable load. Don't count on taking it on your next trip
    unless u r planning on
    not doing any workout ;)

    Do NOT buy this piece of garbage.

    Thanks,

    J.

    John E, Sep 22, 2004

  2. John E

    John E Guest

    I forgot to add "HEAT". It gets VERY HOT that my legs could
    no longer take it. Maybe because it's running a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz.

    J.

    John E, Sep 22, 2004

  3. John E

    Quaoar Guest

    Are you running the Sony Power Panel in the Taskbar? Try it and see if
    the battery life improves. I would expect 1hr 20-30 min if it is the
    4000mAh battery.

    Quaoar, Sep 22, 2004
  4. I have a Sony VAIO K25 and am very happy with it. Yes the laptop is
    heavy--but it has a 15.4" widescreen display and is built as a desktop
    replacement. It is SUPPOSE to be heavy. Yes, the laptop gets quite
    hot--but it has a desktop-style P4 at 2.8GHz. Your desktop running the
    same processor will get equally as hot. The AC adapter is NOT the
    weight of a laptop--it's an AC adapter. Have you felt the weight of
    most of them? I cannot speak too much on the battery cover, but the
    first time I installed the battery it worked just fine.

    The Sony VAIO K25 is very compatible with Fedora Core2 linux (I have
    not tested Core 3). It also runs Microsoft Windows 2003 Server well.

    The DVD writer is a very nice addition on the laptop, and the 60GB hard
    drive is enough room to try out various operating systems. I would not
    expect the battery to last too long because of the power that all of
    the components pull (by which producing a great deal of heat).

    BOTTOM LINE: If you are looking for a very mobile laptop, DO NOT get
    this one. Go look at Sony's X series notebooks for roughly twice the
    price. However, if you are looking for a good performance/price ratio,
    I recommend the Sony VAIO K25.

    John E, stop whining because you bought the wrong laptop. Just because
    you made an uninformed decision does not mean the laptop is bad. Stop
    whining.

    -Michael

    Michael Rutledge, Dec 10, 2004