Sony PCG-V505BX, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by IS, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. IS

    IS Guest

    IS, Sep 4, 2003

  2. IS

    nuttin Guest

    I have this laptop and find the buggy touchpad a real problem...not to
    mention the other litle quirks like the wireless lan card that often can't
    start unless I reboot on startup, and the stiff keyboard and small shift key
    on the right side, the fact that Sony doesn't provide system recovery discs
    (how lame) and the underpowered video memory....but mostly it's the touchpad
    that drives me nuts. Other than that, it's small, fast, lightweight and
    convenient for what I want to do with it.

    nuttin, Sep 4, 2003

  3. I agree with nuttin on the touchpad. It is touchy. And we've had
    problems with ours. Sometimes when you move the mouse pointer, it
    kinda goes off into "its own little world"..moves in another
    direction.

    We were considering using it as the notebook/laptop platform for one
    of our products, but had problems with running certain types of
    software. Sony's technical support was terrible. The keyboard is a
    little cumbersome also.

    The weight of the unit you cannot complain about...it is around 4.5
    lbs I think.

    Mike McWhinney

    Mike McWhinney, Sep 6, 2003
  4. My brother has one of these units. He's also complaining about the touchpad
    and the keyboard.

    I have the older R505 model. I love it. The only thing missing is built in
    Wi-fi. The small shift key drove me nuts when I first got the unit, but if
    this is your only computer, you rapidly get used to it and it is not a
    problem. If you were using the laptop and another computer with a 'normal'
    keyboard, it might continue to bug you. Otherwise, I love the tactile feel
    of the keys on the R505.

    You might be able to get a great deal on e-bay on a used R505, if Wi-fi
    isn't important to you.

    Mike Schumann

    Mike Schumann, Sep 8, 2003
  5. IS

    John Ward Guest

    I just purchased a PCG-V505BX the other day. I ditched XP Home & loaded
    Win2k SP4 on it which I like better. I'm very happy with the computer so
    far.... the keyboard isn't too cramped for an ultra-portable. The touchpad
    is a bit touchy but I am getting better at it & haven't adjusted the
    settings in the driver yet. Speed wise the unit performs well. I'm going to
    upgrade to 1 gig of ram soon. The wireless works well with my Netgear access
    point & it is up on the third floor. I'm on the first. My biggest gripe is
    Sony doesn't include software disks, you have to make back-ups from images
    off the hard drive. Their driver support leaves a little to be desired too.
    (To load Win2k I had to use the drivers from the PCG-V505ACK) The screen is
    sharp, the case feels solid. The only gripe there would be the port covers
    for the ethernet & modem seem flimsy & hard to open. All in all a nice unit
    for the money. Go for it.

    John

    John Ward, Sep 9, 2003