    adapter. Could that be the problem?

    Or is the problem a faulty motherboard?

    Any advice is appreciated. Josh .... please email me at:

    Josh, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Josh

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Here is a Sony Vaio computer PGC-GRZ610 that just keeps shutting off
    | for no reason whatsoever. It runs fine initially but after it is
    | running for sometime, it shuts off. It always happens while I'm
    | processing something not while it's idle. At least I believe that is
    | the case.
    |
    | Unfortunately, there is no battery for this system, just an ac
    | adapter. Could that be the problem?
    |
    | Or is the problem a faulty motherboard?
    |

    | Any advice is appreciated. Josh .... please email me at:

    Hi Josh -

    Could be that the cooling fan and air ducting is full of crud - they do suck
    in a lot of stuff over time. You're likely overheating and your computer
    shuts down to prevent damage.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Josh

    Quaoar Guest

    With a can of dust cleaner, available at any computer store, blow back
    through the *exhaust ports* to remove dust from the heat exchanger on
    the cooling pipes. Do this thoroughly. You should see an immediate
    improvement. The next step is to find out how to open the case, remove
    the keyboard, remove the shielding, and have a good look into the heat
    exchanger inlet. Many of these laptops accumulate balls of fibers or
    even a mat of fibers covering the heat exchanger inlet, on the outlet of
    the CPU fan, and this *must* be removed.

    Go to this site for model-specific help
    http://p200.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony Check the hardware faqs and the
    notebook hardware forums.

    Quaoar, Jul 7, 2004