    anyone know where I can find them?

    Thanks hopefully,
    Jake

    JBW, Oct 23, 2003

  2. JBW

    Jef Norton Guest

    | I reformatted my roommate's vaio with XP Pro and the drivers from the sony
    | website. Everything seems kosher except the FN+X keyboard controls.
    | Brightness, volume, mute, sleep, hibernate -- none of them do anything.
    | Even the FN+SHIFT+F5 combo that's supposed to dim the screen without using
    | an OSD does nothing.
    |
    | I take it there are some drivers out there that aren't on the website.
    Does
    | anyone know where I can find them?
    |
    | Thanks hopefully,
    | Jake

    Hi Jake -

    You need to install the Sony Utilities DLL and Hotkey Utility from your
    Application Recovery CD(s). You may also want to install the Sony Notebook
    Setup utility so that you'll have access to the setup program for ports,
    Boot Sequence, Printer, Touchpad/optional mouse, etc.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Oct 23, 2003

  3. JBW

    JBW Guest

    i don't have the recovery cd's; my roommate isn't the type who bothers to
    take that sort of thing with him when he moves. :-\

    JBW, Oct 23, 2003
  4. JBW

    Jef Norton Guest

    | i don't have the recovery cd's; my roommate isn't the type who bothers to
    | take that sort of thing with him when he moves. :-\

    Hi Jake -

    If there's no recovery CD's available, I guess you'll have to go on a
    fishing expedition.

    Try searching at:

    http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/

    Look for models that are similar to your roommate's which originally shipped
    with Windows ME installed and have posted upgrade instructions for Windows
    XP. Just before Windows XP shipped, Sony was offering a nearly free upgrade
    path to XP Home for it's customers, as soon as XP was released, and they
    posted numerous driver and application updates to their support site,
    including the applications I mentioned. I've found that the Sony Utilities
    DLL and Hotkey program that was intended as an XP upgrade for the PCG-R505TL
    will work on a vast number of different models (these programs don't appear
    to be totally model-specific, though they are hard-coded to work only on
    those models that they support -- the information pages following the links
    for each item list the models supported). The Sony Notebook Setup utility
    is a little bit more model-specific -- but I've also been able to locate
    versions which will work on a number of Sony laptops I've come across.

    Good luck and happy fishing expedition.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Oct 23, 2003