SONY Vaio GRX600 LCD problem: Sony needs input if it is a widespread defect or random. If your GRX60

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by dr news, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. dr news

    dr news Guest

    Sony Vaio PCG-GRX600 Users World Wide, please unite:

    I have a Sony Vaio, an awesome machine. When the LCD screen failed/stopped
    working (no physical damage), and the external monitor kept working, I
    thought I'd just buy another Vaio instead. I went on the web, and I found
    that of the 41 Sony Vaio's for sale that 39 had the same problem?
    Coincidence I thought. Then I went to ebay, and of three Sony's for sale,
    two had the same problem. And the one that was working, had already been
    repaired for an LCD problem. Coincidence?

    If you have a GRX600 Sony Vaio, and the LCD is failed, you are requested to
    call Sony and reply to this post. (Alternatively, if you have a Sony Vaio
    GRX600, and want to say how awesome the working LCD is, that is welcome as
    well; and you can call Sony too :) )

    Sony says no one is experiencing this problem. I disagree. The unit is
    almost 4 years old. But federal law states that the consumer is entitled to
    reasonable expectation that the unit will work; which applies to operational
    defects and is not bound by warranty. Accordingly, if the "many" Sony
    PCG-GRX600s fail because of the LCD (not broken or damaged, just fails) then
    we have some protection under the law.

    My request to you: If you have a Sony PCG-GRX600 -AND- the LCD isn't working
    (but not physically damaged) then please contact Sony at the Sony Direct
    Response Center and have a work order ticket made out. If there is a
    pattern, it needs to be presented to Sony. If there is no pattern, that is
    okay too, and lack of input will say my problem, and the number of Sony
    units with bad LCD may just be random. But I don't think so.

    Sony Direct Response Center
    12451 Gateway Boulevard, Fort Myers, FL 33913
    (239) 561-7669

    Please only call if you have a problem; alternatively if you love your Sony
    they might want to hear from you as well. But my concern is about a
    possible defect in the LCD, specific to the PCG-GRX600 (an otherwise awesome
    and FAST machine)

    Also, please post a reply to this note if you are having problems with your
    LCD. Sony Model PCG-GRX600 only. And I'll do the leg work for you: but
    only if there is a pattern. No pattern, and I'll let this issue drop.

    dr

    dr news, Mar 20, 2006

  2. dr news

    Quaoar Guest

    Sony knows full well which models of Vaio laptops have which
    characteristic defects, and there are several. They know, because they
    do warranty service on their laptops. They might even have large
    quantity commercial and reseller accounts (Best Buy; Circuit City) that
    report these problems. Sony is no different than any other vendor,
    except that they are possibly more adept at simply ignoring problems
    until they go away.

    There is no consumer product that has as little public expectation of
    long-term performance as the laptop computer. Since the max warranty
    period for individual consumer laptop purchases is typically three
    years, users are now accustomed to equating the three year warranty with
    a three year expected life. Sony now has 90 day and one year warranties
    (to keep purchase costs down) and game their customers who fail to pay
    the extortionate warranty renewal costs into simply walking away from
    failed laptops or pay the outrageous out-of-warranty repair costs.

    Since consumers interact with their vendors one on one, there is never
    any driving force for vendors to make good on their failed equipment.
    Sony obviously does not care what its customers think since it is only
    one customer at a time. There is no mechanism for reporting failures to
    any independent consumer agency. There are no publicly available *and
    verifiable* statistics on laptop reliability. It's just one customer at
    a time, vendor by vendor.

    Sony is a relatively minor player in the laptop market. HP/Compaq
    approach this problem differently as a major vendor: they simply change
    model designations frequently, leaving their failed products as isolated
    instances and then proceed to ignore their customer's complaints just
    like Sony. Note the known, publicized, high failure rate in the fragile
    DC jacks on their Pavilion/Presarios in general that they have
    studiously ignored.

    Toshiba learned early in the game when as the predominant laptop vendor
    the failures in floppy drives was so pervasive that they were sued by
    customers and regulatory agencies: make more frequent model number
    changes and isolate smaller batches of failures. Toshiba has had more
    compliant service relations as a result, at least in the US, so at least
    the suit had some (perhaps) benefit to Toshiba customers. Review the
    hundreds of model designations for their laptops in the late 1990's (in
    fact, try to find some models in their support documents!)

    Gateway had a boot failure out of the box in a very high percentage of
    one of their flagship laptops in 2000/2001 and chose to stonewall on
    even warranty service. One university purchased hundreds of this model
    for staff and student use and had to sue to get repairs and
    replacements. Gateway closed their corporate support forums rather than
    have their customers clamor for satisfaction as a result; then they went
    bankrupt. (I think the university sued; there was no further word on
    resolution for this brand-new unit that would not boot when the forums
    closed.)

    IBM achieved their "renowned reliability" in their Thinkpad line through
    leasing to corporate accounts where the failures in product lines were
    promptly replaced as a part of the very expensive lease contracts.
    Thinkpad "reliability" became synonymous with "availability" since the
    corporate users had little or no downtime from failures. IMO their
    general public consumers were more likely to pay a premium for this
    reported "reliability" of IBM products in longer warranties and a higher
    rate of customers contracting multi-year warranties, essentially paying
    a premium for buying in to the IBM mystique. The fact is that IBM has
    had similar lines with characteristic failures and I fully expect that
    Lenovo will have a short grace period until the public becomes aware
    that their product is really no better than any other.

    In any event, the laptops business is based in large part on subterfuge,
    secrecy about the details of their business, and stonewalling. It's
    not just Sony as the One and Oney. Vendors all drink from the same well.

    Let's say you can get a thousand or two thousand owners of the GRX
    series to respond to your query. How many of those owners will support
    a class action suit for compensation? Not many, I'll guess, since we
    all know that compensation years from now *if* the case proceeds will
    have no cash value, will do nothing to correct the failure extant today,
    and thus there is no incentive to even bother. Besides, returning to
    the expected useable three year life of a laptop based on the warranty,
    a three year old laptop has virtually no value even though you and I and
    other readers know this is not true in a practical sense. Proving that a
    laptop has an average life in excess of the maximum warranty period is
    problematical if the data is difficult and costly to acquire or more
    likely does not exist. If there is or is not a class action suit, Sony
    remains free to deal with its customers one on one with resolution that
    can only favor Sony.

    Good luck with your GRX. I have decided that I will only purchase
    computers from Cosco until they change their return/full price refund
    policy. My three year old Sony GRV-670 is headed to Sam's Club's
    service contractor for a mainboard replacement for this line's
    characteristic RAM slot/GPU solder debonding issue that pervades this
    series in units two years old. This problem is well known to Sony, who
    have never publicly acknowledged the problem, conforming to Stony
    Standard Practice. I'll see how Sam's Club handles the cost of repair.
    Maybe I'll have ten bucks in my hand when its resolved.

    Quaoar, Mar 20, 2006

  3. dr news

    dr news Guest

    Quite a response. I'm not a fan of class action anything, because only
    attorney's make money. But Sony is proud of their market reputation, and
    I'm looking for volume of responses, not $ from those responses. Sony makes
    a good product; and when they had widespread problems with a product, "after
    a lot of pressure" they finally admitted they might have a problem, and then
    did a one-of-fix. So, if there is a problem, I'd like to bring it to their
    attention in the right way. I don't want money, I want my Vaio fixed! dr

    --
    dr.news //stores.ebay.com/better-price-wireless (not better than you
    deserve, just more than you are used to)

    Sony knows full well which models of Vaio laptops have which
    characteristic defects, and there are several. They know, because they
    do warranty service on their laptops. They might even have large
    quantity commercial and reseller accounts (Best Buy; Circuit City) that
    report these problems. Sony is no different than any other vendor,
    except that they are possibly more adept at simply ignoring problems
    until they go away.

    <snip>
[...]

    Standard Practice. <snip

    dr news, Mar 20, 2006
  4. dr news

    dr news Guest

    Meanwhile: I have been informed that three recent GRX600's experience the
    same problem. How unique?

    Recent and ONLY GRX600's sold on Ebay: GRX600 works great except for...

    Item Number Issue (how odd)

    6859449677 no lcd video, but external works great

    6857866737 lcd had to be replaced

    6859671409 no lcd video, but external works great

    That would be such an odd coincidence, wouldn't it?

    dr news, Mar 22, 2006
  5. dr news

    dr news Guest

    Sony: Understand; the estimate of $756 remains; unless I reply to your
    special offer of $550. Understood, thank you.: Understand that this is NOT
    the current estimate;

    Mr. R. Martin (@SONY NCR in Florida) I did not understand this distinction.
    But it is clear now, and I'm posturing my options. I have received emails
    from the SOS of Florida, California, and Illinois asking for details. This
    is a lot of money, and other options are brewing. Patience please.

    dr news, Mar 22, 2006
  6. dr news

    Quaoar Guest

    I will buy you your beverage of choice if you manage to kick Sony's butt
    on their obligation to make good on intrinsic defects in their
    notebooks. Nonetheless, I am not bating my breath.

    Quaoar, Mar 23, 2006