Sony Vaio K15 not getting address from Dlink router DHCP

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by dale, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. dale

    dale Guest

    Hello,

    I have 2 Sony Vaio K15 laptops with integrated 802.11b/g wireless. I
    also have a Dlink DI-624 wireless router, another laptop with an
    Orinoco 802.11b PCMCIA card and a PDA with wireless capability.

    The laptop with the Orinoco card and the PDA both connect to the
    wireless network without problems and they accept the address from the
    router's DHCP. However, both K15 laptops "see" the network and show
    they are trying to acquire an address, but eventually time out. The
    K15s are running Windows XP SP2, and the network is unsecured.

    The router shows that it got a connect request from the laptops and
    assigned an address to them.

    I've updated drivers on the laptops with no success.

    Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? If so, were you able
    to resolve it?

    Thanks

    Dale Chamberlain

    dale, Dec 7, 2004

  2. dale

    Quaoar Guest

    Check that you have specified the router IP address as the default
    gateway and the DNS server in the TCP/IP properties. Enable NetBIOS
    over TCP/IP, not the default which is enable if necessary. Also check
    that in TCP/IP filtering, Permit All is checked for all ports and
    protocols. Make sure that if running a firewall, that the local network
    is in the Trusted zone. If using a third party firewall, disable the
    Windows firewall, but do not disable Internet Connection Sharing and
    Windows firewall service.

    Also, if running Wireless Zero Configuration, do not run the proprietary
    wireless configuration utility (only one config app, in any event).
    Remember to enter the appropriate MAC address in MAC filtering security
    in the router if that is enabled.

    Quaoar, Dec 7, 2004

  3.
    upallnight-too, Dec 7, 2004
  4. try turning on the service Wireless Zero Configuration Service

    To start the service . . .

    Start/run . . . services.msc
    scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration Service
    double-click on it to open the settings box
    click "Start" to start the service
    set it to automatic using the drop-down box
    reboot
    If it still does not show in the list of Services:

    run regedit and find

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

    upallnight-too, Dec 7, 2004
  5. dale

    dale Guest

    Well I checked the Wireless Zero Configuration Service and it shows
    running with the "Automatic" setting on. Also, the firewall is disabled
    and there is no TCP/IP filtering.

    If I change the TCP/IP settings to force a static address and gateway,
    it will connect to the router. It just doesn't seem to get or recognize
    the DHCP response.

    I'm going to try a spare Linksys 802.11b router to see if it works with
    it. My guess is it probably will...stay tuned!

    Dale

    dale, Dec 12, 2004
  6. dale

    dale Guest

    Surprisingly the same problem exists with the Linksys router. So that
    tells me the problem is isolated to the Sony laptops. Interestingly too
    is that the problem does occassionaly go away, but only briefly. A
    reboot usually causes the wireless to not get an address. Also, it is
    not consistent with forcing a static IP address...sometimes it works,
    sometimes it doesn't.

    I can't believe I have 2 defective laptops, considering I bought them
    from opposite sides of the country, it doesn't seem likely.

    Does anyone know where I can go to find the latest drivers for the
    wireless adapter: LAN Express AS IEEE 801.11g mini PCI adapter?
    Thanks

    Dale A. Chamberlain

    dale, Dec 13, 2004
  8. dale

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Surprisingly the same problem exists with the Linksys router. So that
    | tells me the problem is isolated to the Sony laptops. Interestingly too
    | is that the problem does occassionaly go away, but only briefly. A
    | reboot usually causes the wireless to not get an address. Also, it is
    | not consistent with forcing a static IP address...sometimes it works,
    | sometimes it doesn't.
    |
    | I can't believe I have 2 defective laptops, considering I bought them
    | from opposite sides of the country, it doesn't seem likely.
    |
    | Does anyone know where I can go to find the latest drivers for the
    | wireless adapter: LAN Express AS IEEE 801.11g mini PCI adapter?
    | Thanks
    |
    | Dale A. Chamberlain

    Hi Dale -

    There is a driver update for the Wireless LAN on your computer.

    Have a look at the following link:
    http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&upd_id=1538&os_id=7&mdl=PCGK15

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Dec 13, 2004
  9. dale

    dale Guest

    Thanks Jef,

    I will apply this update this evening and hopefully it will solve the
    problem. I know the version that the laptop is using is from around
    April 2004. Interestingly, the VAIO update did not show this driver
    update.

    Again, thanks!

    Dale

    dale, Dec 13, 2004
  10. dale

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Thanks Jef,
    |
    | I will apply this update this evening and hopefully it will solve the
    | problem. I know the version that the laptop is using is from around
    | April 2004. Interestingly, the VAIO update did not show this driver
    | update.
    |
    | Again, thanks!
    |
    | Dale

    Hi Dale -

    Happy to help and I hope the newer driver addresses your issues.

    There are two drivers listed on the support page for your computer. If you
    do the "step 3" pulldown and select "Wireless" you'll see the update I
    pointed out to you (as well as a download for Sony's Wireless Help
    Utility -- which you may also find beneficial). If you select "Wireless
    LAN" you'll see what I believe may be the original driver that shipped with
    your computer.

    Link for Wireless Help Utility:
    http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&upd_id=1614&os_id=7&mdl=PCGK15

    I found it necessary to go the manufacturers website of the Wireless LAN
    adaptor in my VAIO V505EX (Intel in my case) and pick up their latest
    reference driver and software package to address my connection speed issues.
    While Intel's suite of programs that shipped with the package didn't work
    for me, the driver that was included with it, which could be manually
    installed through Device Manager, did.

    If Sony's update doesn't address your problems you may wish to search the
    LAN Express website for a reference driver and give that a try.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Dec 13, 2004
  11. dale

    dale Guest

    Jef,

    I applied the new driver following the instructions on the Sony website
    exactly, but the problem still persisted. One of the laptops that I was
    testing this on also was recently upgraded to XP SP2. I backed out SP2
    and the wirelesss connection worked, although not entirely
    consistently. I rebooted the computer and it didn't get the correct
    address assigned, but it was behaving differently. I disabled the
    wireless adapter, then enabled it, and everything worked.

    I can only conclude at this point the drivers that Sony has for the
    adapter have an issue with SP2. I will contact Sony about this.

    I tried to locate LAN Express drivers from a manufacturer website, but
    so far no luck.

    Thanks

    Dale

    dale, Dec 14, 2004
  12. dale

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Jef,
    |
    | I applied the new driver following the instructions on the Sony website
    | exactly, but the problem still persisted. One of the laptops that I was
    | testing this on also was recently upgraded to XP SP2. I backed out SP2
    | and the wirelesss connection worked, although not entirely
    | consistently. I rebooted the computer and it didn't get the correct
    | address assigned, but it was behaving differently. I disabled the
    | wireless adapter, then enabled it, and everything worked.
    |
    | I can only conclude at this point the drivers that Sony has for the
    | adapter have an issue with SP2. I will contact Sony about this.
    |
    | I tried to locate LAN Express drivers from a manufacturer website, but
    | so far no luck.
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Dale

    Hi Dale -

    Sorry to hear that Sony's newer driver hasn't worked out for you.

    One curiosity: What encryption method are you using on the network? After
    a quick Google search, I was reading an article on a website where the
    author was describing a fairly similar problem to yours. He was able to
    establish connectivity by using WEP, after discovering the driver he was
    using didn't support WPA.

    My quick search also failed to turn up the manufacturers website. Have a
    look in the .inf file for the driver and, hopefully, there's a better clue
    there as to who manufactures the adaptor so that a search for a reference
    driver can proceed.

    Sony is notoriously bad at providing driver updates and, more than once,
    I've turned to the hardware manufacturer for solutions.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Dec 14, 2004
  13. dale

    T i m Guest

    I had a similar problem that first showed itself via the network port
    on an Acer Aspire I had for a while. It then appeared more an more
    with some of the more common chipsets seen on the various cheaper PCI
    cards like Via Rhine, Realtech etc.

    Mine turned out to be an 'issue' with the D-Link DI-704 cable rouler
    not issuing DHCP to the above (but fine with everyone else). Something
    strange that also came from this is that with these cards / chipsets
    you opten were leased the i/p address from the TOP of the scope rather
    than the more 'normal' lower end? This applied with both the D-Link
    and my neighbours Smoothwall DHCP servers.

    After a couple of calls to D-Link support I sorted my problem myself
    with a Q-Tec WiFi router (with the WiFi bit turned off and still using
    the Netgear ME-102 AP )

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Dec 18, 2004
  14. dale

    dale Guest

    Jef,

    Actually I am using no encrytion at all. The thought did strike me to
    try it with WEP encryption just to see if it made a difference at all.

    I can find a website for the manufacturer but they (for some odd
    reason) do not have drivers available on it.
    So far it seems to be working without the SP2 patch.

    Dale

    dale, Dec 20, 2004
  15. dale

    dale Guest

    Hi Tim,

    I changed routers with a Linksys router, but still had the same
    problem. If worse comes to worse, I'll just put in wireless cards and
    disable the built-in WiFi.

    Dale

    dale, Dec 20, 2004