Sony VAIO PCG-FRV27 - DC Power In Jack Problem

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Jonas, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Jonas

    Jonas Guest

    I am posting this for a friend since he can't use his 17 month old laptop.

    This is the scenario:

    Sony VAIO laptop model # PCG-FRV27

    His DC power jack was having problems in the past. He would have to jiggle
    it to get it to charge. Now its at the point where it cannot charge at all,
    and his computer is nothing more than a paperweight.

    He is out of warranty and Sony wants $700US dollars to repair the laptop.
    They say the motherboard needs to be replaced. This sounds rediculous in my
    opinion.

    It seems that the DC power jack adapter would need to be replaced and
    soldered onto the motherboard.

    I would say a reasonable price for this repair would be a 100$ or so for
    labor and less than 30$ for the part.

    Does anyone have any information on this? From what I've searched this is a
    common problem with VAIOs and Sony customer service isn't helping at all.

    Are there any external battery chargers that he could use to get by? Would a
    docking station let him have use of his pc if the DC jack is broken?

    Sincerely,
    Jonas

    Jonas, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Jonas

    Grant Guest

    That would be quite reasonable, except that manufacturers don't repair stuff
    like that. It's much easier for them to just throw a new motherboard into it.

    Try taking it to an electronics repair store if you can find one. The kind of
    places that fix broken TVs and stuff. They might be willing to open it up and
    solder on a new power connector fairly cheap.

    Grant, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Jonas

    ikenfixit Guest

    He's correct that Sony just installs a new systemboard. If you cant
    find a local shop we can also help. This is an easy fix for the most
    part..

    ikenfixit, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Jonas

    Kenneth Wolf Guest

    Jonas;
    Ken at ikenfixit.com can fix that for you. I have used him in the past
    and he a decent guy who is fair and reasonable in his fees. Just my two
    cents.
    Ken

    Kenneth Wolf, Apr 6, 2005
  5. Jonas

    ikenfixit Guest

    Thanx Ken.. Keeping busy? We sure are..

    ikenfixit, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Jonas

    Ken Wolf Guest

    Hi Ken;
    Trying to stay away from those Dell laptops:)
    Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
    Have you found uses for all those instruments I sent?

    Ken Wolf, Apr 9, 2005
  7. Jonas

    ikenfixit Guest

    Use them everyday.. Very much appreciated and theyre handy for finding
    bad solder joints and picking components. Take it easy dude and if you
    need help just pick up the phone.. Ken

    ikenfixit, Apr 10, 2005
  8. Jonas

    Joe Red

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same old Sony Vaio problem

    Hi Jonas, I know it has been long time since you posted this message anyway I am living the same predicament with my Sony Vaio. Before I took it to a local computer shop I could jiggle it and it would work. Now after they replace the Jack, it doesn't work at all. They even returned my first payment since all they did was worsen the problem. Now, Jiggling is not even an option. What I do is to recharge the battery in a similar Sony Vaio and put it back into the one with the problem to see that the motherboard at least is working and all my programs are there.
    Did you get yours fixed? if yes, can you share the info? Thanks.

    I appreciate it.

    JR

    Joe Red, Oct 20, 2007
  9. Jonas

    murthyhsv

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I ahve the same problem. I need to replace the jack. Did anyone find resolution to get the part and install it on the laptop.
    Thanks

    Venkatesh

    murthyhsv, Feb 4, 2008
  10. Jonas

    newbienomsfewds

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had a similar issue. My charger wouldn't plug in, and it seemed to not plug in all the way. It would charge if you wiggled it enough, but it didn't work at all after a while. My step dad just took the laptop apart and moved the little whatchamacall it (the little thingy in their that holds the plug? If that makes sense? :p) and it worked again.

    newbienomsfewds, Jun 26, 2011