Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX What partitions needed to use Recovery cd/dvd?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by charlessw, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. charlessw

    charlessw Guest

    I have a Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX laptop that is not bootable. (OS not
    found) I believe a virus destroyed the MBR.
    I tried running the Recovery DVD but recieved an error about not being
    able to access the hard drive. (This makes sense, as the MBR might be
    trashed.)

    I read a previous discussion that mentioned the recovery dvd from Sony
    could be used to install the OS/Drivers. (The hidden partition is not
    actually needed). The discussion mentioned that Sony's recovery setup
    just required 2 partitions- the first, about 5 gigs and the second,
    however large you want it to be.

    I wiped my MBR using Slackware and created the above partitions... but
    I am not sure what Type the first partition (acting as the 'hidden'
    partition) should be set as. Does anyone know? Is it just a different
    format, DOS, FAT16, etc?

    I have the Recovery DVD, and it currently boots into the recovery
    process but eventually fails.

    If anyone has any information on how to manually create the partitions
    needed for the Recovery DVD to continue, I would be very greateful.

    Regards,
    Charles

    charlessw, Mar 3, 2005

  2. charlessw

    charlessw Guest

    I ran fdisk in Slackware's setup and deleted the partitions I had
    created before.
    I then ran cfdisk and somehow, it seems the origional partitions are
    shown- the hidden partition is listed as type "Compaq Diagnostics" and
    there is a NTFS 15G partition (bootable) along with a 19G NTFS
    partition.

    I hopefully ran the Recovery DVD, which loaded a blue background with
    cursor for a long time.
    Eventually a error window popped up:
    "VAIO recovery wizard"
    "cannot access recovery partition"