Sony vaio pcga-grx550 pcga grx RAM dead bad solder dimm socket

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by terry.jones, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. terry.jones

    terry.jones Guest

    I recently picked up a Sony Vaio laptop cheap because it was having
    boot problems. It would boot only when you pressed on the dimm socket.

    Looking at the solder connections on the ram memory dimm socket I see
    that the solder joints are all very bad. They all look like what I
    would call cold solder joints and there were many that were very loose
    (a wonder it would boot at all, much less work properly after booting
    when you stopped pressing on the dimm socket...)

    The first question is have others seen similar problems where maybe
    after a ram upgrade the laptop stopped working even with the original
    ram re-installed?

    I was able to resolder mine (using the wrong tool under a microscope,
    literally) and get it working but this isn't something most people
    should try.

    I am wondering if Sony ever had a recall on these if this was a common
    thing.

    tj

    terry.jones, Nov 6, 2006

  2. terry.jones

    Quaoar Guest

    Cold solder joints in both the RAM sockets and the video processor
    opposite the Ram sockets are well-known problems on the GR-X,T, and V
    series notebooks. There has never been a recall, much to Sony's shame
    (my opinion). There are repair shops that can repair the solder if the
    damage has not progressed too far into the GPU section of the mainboard.

    Quaoar, Nov 6, 2006