Sony Vaio recovery-DVD - selective installation of SW?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Reinhard S., Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Reinhard S.

    Reinhard S. Guest

    Hi,

    I want to make a "clean" installation of XP and want to install SELECTIVE
    components of the Vaio-software, contained in the Vaio recovery-DVD.

    I've installed XP + drivers - now it would be helpful, if anybody does (own
    a new Vaio and) know, WHICH Vaio-applications from the recovery-DVD I have
    to install to

    1.) get the blue function keys and
    2.) the Power-Management working.

    Or is there a documentaion where I could have a look?

    Thx
    Reinhard

    (Vaio FS115Z)

    Reinhard S., Mar 12, 2005

  2. Reinhard S.

    JefN Guest

    | Hi,
    |
    | I want to make a "clean" installation of XP and want to install SELECTIVE
    | components of the Vaio-software, contained in the Vaio recovery-DVD.
    |
    | I've installed XP + drivers - now it would be helpful, if anybody does
    (own
    | a new Vaio and) know, WHICH Vaio-applications from the recovery-DVD I have
    | to install to
    |
    | 1.) get the blue function keys and
    | 2.) the Power-Management working.
    |
    | Or is there a documentaion where I could have a look?
    |
    | Thx
    | Reinhard
    |
    | (Vaio FS115Z)

    Hi Reinhard -

    You need the following:

    .. Sony Shared Library (library routines necessary for other applications to
    run)
    .. Hotkey Utility (function keys)
    .. PowerPanel Utility (power management)

    There should be a list of the pre-installed applications in the booklet that
    came with your computer. If you don't have it, there should be an
    electronic (.pdf) copy available at Sony's support site.

    Jef

    JefN, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Reinhard S.

    Reinhard S. Guest

    Hi Jef,

    thanks for answering - in the documentation is only documented, how to make
    a full recovery with the recovery-DVD...

    Because of your hints I explored the folders 'Vaio Application/.../Utils
    Installer 1-9' with an editor, I analysed some *.ini, setup.inx etc. - I
    could detect the following:

    1. ... SynUtils - muss installiert werden (für 4.)
    2. ... Sony shared library
    3. ... Sony video shared library
    4. ... Vaio power management
    5. ... setting utility series (???)
    6. ... Vaio event service
    7. ... Vaio control center
    8. ... Vaio update
    9. ... battery checker

    I installed 1,2,4,6,7 - and it seems, it does work...:)

    Thanks and best regards,
    Reinhard

    Reinhard S., Mar 12, 2005
  4. Reinhard S.

    JefN Guest

    Hi Reinhard -

    | Hi Jef,
    |
    | thanks for answering - in the documentation is only documented, how to
    make
    | a full recovery with the recovery-DVD...
    |
    | Because of your hints I explored the folders 'Vaio Application/.../Utils
    | Installer 1-9' with an editor, I analysed some *.ini, setup.inx etc. - I
    | could detect the following:
    |
    | 1. ... SynUtils - muss installiert werden (für 4.)
    | 2. ... Sony shared library
    | 3. ... Sony video shared library
    | 4. ... Vaio power management
    | 5. ... setting utility series (???)
    | 6. ... Vaio event service
    | 7. ... Vaio control center
    | 8. ... Vaio update
    | 9. ... battery checker
    |

    | I installed 1,2,4,6,7 - and it seems, it does work...:)
    |

    | Thanks and best regards,
    | Reinhard

    Happy to help.

    You may wish to have a look at 5 in your list. This may be the installer
    for the Sony Notebook Setup program (or whatever its variant in your
    locale). Though I could be wrong, as 7 in your list may be this program.
    My familiarity with VAIO notebooks rests only with models intended for the
    North American market.

    This is useful for disabling the built-in touchpad when you use an external
    mouse. It's useful when working on Word Processing, etc., for me to disable
    the touchpad and use a mouse to keep from moving my cursor errantly about my
    document. It is, however, essential that you enable the touchpad once again
    when you intend to use the computer without a mouse, as there is no feature
    in Sony's BIOS' to enable the touchpad.

    Jef

    JefN, Mar 12, 2005
  5. Reinhard S.

    Reinhard S. Guest

    Hi Jef,

    many thanks for your input :) and greetings to North America.

    Regards,
    Reinhard

    Reinhard S., Mar 12, 2005