Sony Vaio screen flicker

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Zhayfar, May 31, 2006.

  1. Zhayfar

    Zhayfar Guest

    Hi

    My Vaio laptop model PCG-GRV 616s suffers from a screen flicker that
    have no idea on how to rectify. Basically the screen becomes al
    garbled and I am unable to see anything on the screen. The laptop i
    just over 3 years old and upto recently has been working jus
    fine..

    I have updated to the latest grahics drivers for the ATI 9000 radeo
    Mobility card but to no avail....

    I have just done a complete system restore in case of driver conflict
    etc but alas the irritatintg flicker persists..

    I have 2 questions if I may.

    1. Can anyone suggest or advise what may be the cause of this ?

    2. Anyone know where I could get a replacement graphics card ?

    Thanks for reading and hope to hear views / solutions / ideas..

    Cheer

    Stev

    Zhayfar, May 31, 2006

  2. Zhayfar

    Quaoar Guest

    The Sony Vaio GRV series has two known fatal flaws: the RAM slot solder
    connections debond from the board, and the GPU (video) chip debonds from
    the board. Both problems result from the heat generated from both
    sources which are opposite each other on the mainboard. The solution is
    a mainboard replacement, although there are some repair companies that
    have had some success at reflowing the solder connections. If you are
    in the US (the GRV616 is a Euro model?), or can ship to the US, you can
    visit the unofficial Sony forum
    http://p200.ezboard.com/funofficialsonyfrm8 and search for user smbios
    who does this repair (I do not want to post his info on a usenet).

    Quaoar, May 31, 2006