Sony Vaio VGN-S460 screen flicker

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by terry.gaston, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. terry.gaston

    terry.gaston Guest

    I just purchased a new vaio s460/b today. I have been running it for
    about 2 hours now and right from the start I noticed the screen
    flickers about every 30 sec. to 1 minute. It is a faint flicker, but
    definitely noticable.

    I thought it might be related to when the fan comes on or hard drive
    starts working, but it is not. It almost seems as if the screen gets a
    tad brighter, and then darker again. It does this both when it is
    plugged in and on the battery.

    One other issue I have found is that the scroll feature does not work
    with any drop down menu items. It works fine in a document or on the
    web, but not in any drop down menus where you need to scroll. My IBM
    and Sharp laptops scroll feature work fine in drop down menus. I
    haven't had a chance to do any updates, but I will be doing them right
    now in hopes that it will fix one or both of these problems.

    If anyone has the same computer and has experienced either of these
    problems, or not, please let me know.

    Thanks.

    terry.gaston, Jul 20, 2005

  2. terry.gaston

    Terry Guest

    Here is a quick update to my previous message. After using the
    computer for a couple more hours. The screen has stopped flickering.
    Not sure why.

    About the touchpad scroll issue. I spoke with Sony and they told me
    that the scroll issue is not supported in any menu lists. I pretty
    much laughed, but I don't know what to think now. This feature works
    perfect on my IBM and Sharp, and it also works great on the Dells and
    Gateways I use at work. How can Sony decide to remove a scroll feature
    from menu lists?

    Here is a quick example. If open a windows folder, then select Tools,
    Folder Options, and then select the View tab, I can not scroll through
    the list of items using the touchpad scroll feature. I am forced to
    use the slider bar or arrow keys to move up and down through the list.
    When I move the pointer onto the list and slide my finger along the
    right side of the touchpad, nothing happens. Yet it works great on
    everything else but these menus.

    I really hope this is not normal becuase I would be pretty upset
    spending almost $2K on a laptop and having it dissabled this way.

    Thanks!

    Terry, Jul 20, 2005

  3. The CCF tube (or indeed any flourescent type tube) can suffer from
    'striations' when it is new. Basically the discharge current through the
    tube isn't even and tends to rotate round the tube - hence the flicker. The
    effect should disappear once the cathodes burn in after an hour or three.
    If it doesn't disappear then there is some other fault and a trip back to
    the store may be in order.

    Ian.

    Ye Electrik Fanne Clubbe, Jul 20, 2005
  4. terry.gaston

    Terry Guest

    Thanks for the info. Yes the flicker is now gone.

    Now I just want to figure out this touchpad scroll issue and I will be
    100% satisfied with this computer.

    Terry, Jul 20, 2005
  5. terry.gaston

    Quaoar Guest

    What touchpad is installed? Is the touchpad app running in the system
    tray? Try accessing the settings from that. Alternatively, Control
    Panel, Mouse, Device Settings tab, select the touchpad, then Settings
    button. This provides access to all of the Synaptics Touchpad features
    for enabling and customization. It might be the same for whatever
    touchpad is installed on the new laptop. Also, check Sony for driver
    updates that might apply.

    Quaoar, Jul 20, 2005
  6. terry.gaston

    Terry Guest

    It has an Alps Pointing device for VAIO version 5.3.511.2 dated
    7/28/2004. I also went to sony support and there were no new or
    updated drivers.

    I tried my friends PCG-GRX570 laptop, and it does the exact same thing.
    I guess it is a Sony thing (bug in my mind). Can anyone else that
    owns a sony laptop try my example I metion above and see if it scrolls.
    I really hope there is something I can do to make it work. It doesn't
    sound like a big deal, but even when I am browsing the web and come
    across a drop down menu which I need to scroll through, I am forced to
    use the slider bar.

    Thanks.

    Terry, Jul 20, 2005
  7. terry.gaston

    Quaoar Guest

    My wife's TR3a with the Alps touchpad will not scroll in any system
    window it appears. That seems to be the only place that the scroll
    function does not work. My GRV670 with the Synaptics touchpad does
    scroll in system windows. I do not see any Alps setting that will
    enable scrolling in a system window.

    Quaoar, Jul 20, 2005
  8. terry.gaston

    Terry Guest

    I have pretty much written of trying to figure out a way to use the
    touchpad scroll feature in menus.

    As far as my screen flicker. It has come back again. Does anyone else
    experience this? The computer has well over 10 hours on it now. The
    screen seems to flicker whenever something is going on. For example,
    when I burn a disc, it seems to flicker more often. Also, when the
    battery becomes discharged, and I plug it in and use it on AC, it seems
    to flicke a lot. Not sure if any of these things have to do with it.

    Just wondering if this is something I need to be concerned about. I
    don't want my display to quit.

    Thanks.

    Terry, Jul 21, 2005
  9. terry.gaston

    Terry Guest

    Just for the record, I spoke with Sony and my flickering problem is
    fixed. There was a video card driver update that addressed the problem
    of the screen flickering when the brightness control was dimmed. And I
    had mine set to around 7 or 8 (out of 9). Haven't seen the problem
    since I updated the driver about an hour ago.

    Terry, Jul 21, 2005
  10. terry.gaston

    Kenneth Wolf Guest

    Just to confirm your touchpad "issue", I have a Vaio VGN-S260P with the Alps
    touchpad and driver ver. 5.3.511.2 and I can't scroll in the windows you
    mentioned either. Didn't realize I had this problem until I read your post.
    Thanks a lot!:)
    Hope you still enjoy your Vaio.

    Kenneth Wolf

    Kenneth Wolf, Jul 23, 2005
  11. terry.gaston

    Terry Guest

    I also spoke with Sony and had them check some of their other laptops,
    checked sony laptops and compusa, and all had same results (problem in
    my opinion).

    Terry, Jul 25, 2005