Sony VGN A170B Boot without LCD to External Monitor?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by robear, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. robear

    robear Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to figure out if I can boot my Sony notebook using only an
    external screen. I "accidently" dropped my notebook out of the carry
    bag onto concrete and smashed its screen. Case didn't even get a
    scratch on it.

    I have checked the HDD (on a different PC) and motherboard, etc and all
    is OK. That is no cracks in the circuit boards, CPU, memory seated
    properly, etc

    When I turn the notebook on, all the correct LED's turn on, the HDD
    spins up, but that's all. The External screen does not display
    anything, nor do I get any beeps.

    I am wondering if this is a Sony thing where because it cant find the
    LCD screen (or doesnt get a valid OK signal back from it) it wont
    boot..

    Is this the case?

    Any ideas? Before I spend big bucks for a replacement LCD, I want to
    make sure the notebook is OK...

    Thanks,
    Robert

    robear, Mar 12, 2006

  2. robear

    jimbo Guest

    My Sony PCG-F420 booted OK with a bad LCD and an external monitor. If
    your laptop doesn't boot with an external monitor connected, your
    laptop is probably damaged.

    Good luck, jimbo

    jimbo, Mar 12, 2006

  3. robear

    robear Guest

    Thanks Jimbo..

    The boards are fine as it starts up to a point... From other sources, I
    think what I mentioned regarding the internal screen signal possibly
    holds true.

    Looks like I will just have to keep looking....

    Thanks for your reply...
    Robert

    robear, Mar 22, 2006