    charged for a long time?

    Write back
    Carmine.

    Carmine782, Jul 15, 2006

  2. Carmine782

    Carmine782 Guest

    Anyone?

    Carmine782, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Carmine782

    Roy Guest

    Look Carmine,
    I value my VAIO that is why I take care of it...If you will spend lot
    of money to buy a unit that you will just neglect IMO , its sheer
    extravagance..
    Laptops are supposed to be given more care than a desktop.

    BTW related to your question.
    My laptop ....if I forget about it occasionally while its running
    .....it just shut down by itself after a certain time.

    If you just take for granted your expensive lappy then better stick
    with your ol desky....
    there is No point wasting money on expensive devices..if you can't take
    care of it!

    Roy, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Carmine782

    flux Guest

    Carmine,

    I own a Sony VAIO T250P (and it's so so sweet) which I leave on 24
    hours a day. At least, I used to but then the internal fan died (after
    maybe 9 months) and so I'm awaiting some warranty verification crap
    (the extended warranty people lost my information) to get the fan
    fixed. One problem that I've had, which I suspect might be influenced
    by leaving it on all the time, is that the battery no longer charges to
    100%. It's maxed at about 95% I think now. I've heard that excess heat
    causes these Li-Ion batteries to die like this, so I think the fact
    that my fan blew and I continued to run the laptop 24 hours a day has
    taken some time off my battery life (I didn't realize for some time).

    That being said leaving a laptop on 24 hours a day is not a problem
    when everything is working correctly, and modern laptops are built to
    handle this. They have sufficient cooling to not damage the battery.
    Just keep an eye on that fan to make sure it keeps blowing.

    flxst

    flux, Jul 17, 2006
  5. Carmine782

    Chris Hill Guest

    Stupid idea for desktops and laptops both. Energy is not free. Worse
    with laptops is that the heatsinks and fans are smaller and more
    easily clogged. They are also harder to open up to unclog, so the
    answer is simple: no.

    Chris Hill, Jul 18, 2006
  6. Carmine782

    Carmine782 Guest

    Talk to me about overcharging the battery, should i take the battery
    out when its fully chaged or what?

    Carmine782, Jul 19, 2006
  7. If you are going to leave it plugged in for long periods of time (days),
    yes, take the battery out for maximum battery life. However, if that's
    the way you normally operate (and for many people it is) you may want to
    plug the laptop into a UPS. But a $10 to $30 UPS is a lot cheaper than
    a $200 lithium battery.

    It's generally ok to leave it on all the time, but it's likely that the
    laptop's cooling system (fan and heatsink) will need cleaning every 3 to
    12 months. The difficulty of this depends on the laptop model, usually
    you can do it yourself (with a can of compressed air), sometimes the
    laptop has to be taken apart.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 19, 2006
  8. Carmine782

    Carmine782 Guest

    Well i think the most period of time ill leave it on or plugged is like
    5 hours...cuz ill be movieg around with it on alot, but if i told use
    the battery for like a few weeks, and i just leave it out fully chaged
    will that hurt hte battery?

    Carmine782, Jul 19, 2006
  9. Leaving the battery out will not hurt it. Most of the battery makers
    say that these types of batteries store best at about a 60% charge
    rather than a full charge. There should be some activity at least every
    3 or 4 months.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 19, 2006
  10. Carmine782

    Chris Hill Guest

    Depends. If the battery is in a place that gets pretty hot because it
    is near the cpu, pull it after it is charged and only charge it before
    a trip. A $30 ups is a lot cheaper than a new battery. I've had a
    little Averatec machine for a year and the battery is almost as good
    as new. I figure this is likely because the battery stays cool even
    whith the machine running on ac.

    Chris Hill, Jul 19, 2006