Sony Vio won't boot up...

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Bill Pelka, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. Bill Pelka

    Bill Pelka Guest

    Greetings all,

    I have a Sony Vio Model PCG-GRV670. Its about 2 years old. It will not
    boot at all. Get it to turn on, fans come on and then nothing. Its like it
    is not getting to the BIOS to start it up. I located the 2 memory chips and
    swapped them (thinking that if there was a bad section in one of them I
    would be able to get "thru" the start-up). NO luck with that. Now I am
    trying to get to the CPU and reseat it, hoping that "Chip-Creep" has
    loosened the connection that I need. I have a good, charged battery and have
    removed all of the externally connected USB devices.

    1. Any Idea how/where to get into the CPU?

    2. Next move...?

    Thanks,

    Bill

    PS: I am trying the Sony web site also...

    Bill Pelka, Oct 29, 2005

  2. You are barking up what is probably a dead tree. The chances that
    reseating the CPU will help are probably near zero (as were the chances
    that swapping the memory chips would help). Most likely, you have a
    motherboard problem whose only resolution will be to replace the
    motherboard. Given how drastic that is, the one other thing I'd look at
    would be the CMOS battery on or connected to the motherboard. There are
    a few laptops that won't start if this battery dies (note, this is the
    exception and even this is a long-shot, but compared to changing a
    motherboard .......)

    Barry Watzman, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Bill Pelka

    Quaoar Guest

    The GRV series is susceptible to two solder trace faults that will fail
    the laptop. First is fractured traces in the RAM slots. These first
    show up as missing RAM. Second is fractured traces in the video chip
    circuitry. This chip is opposite the ram slots. Both faults probably
    result from thermal cycling. In any event, these can sometimes be
    repaired, but are not a user repair. Check the posting in this forum
    for additional: http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony

    Quaoar, Oct 29, 2005