    Could prolong my PC a little while if i can get 20 fps more from games
    byt just adding a better sound card.

    Thanks.

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, May 26, 2004

    CrimsonLiar Guest

    Regards the extra FPS from updating the video card, yes you will get more
    FPS from a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS compared to a Soundblaster Live 5.1,
    maybe in the order of 5% to 10%, but little more I doubt.

    I love the flexibility of my Soundblaster 2 ZS Platinum Pro, but if you
    really want to increase your performance (and audio quality) I'd suggest
    getting a Nvidia based motherboard with onboard SoundStorm audio and a new
    (more powerfull CPU). Those motherboards work superbly with ATi Graphics,
    and the sound quality/flexibility is miles ahead of your SBLive.

    CrimsonLiar

    CrimsonLiar, May 26, 2004

  3. Any AMD 64 mobos with soundstorm ???

    How about just a normal soundcard with soundstorm ?

    Thanks.

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, May 26, 2004

    Odie Guest

    I just upgraded from a P4 system with a live card to an Abit SocketA nforce2
    with soundstorm audio (NF7-S) and I can verify indeed what CrimsonLiar says
    is accurate. The onboard sound is better quality and performance....by far.
    I'm very happy with it!!

    Odie, May 26, 2004

    CrimsonLiar Guest

    As of yet Nvidia havent included Soundstorm on any AMD64 mobos, though they
    did release a picture that suggested a soundstorm PCI card was a
    possibility. Alas thats all folks...

    CrimsonLiar

    CrimsonLiar, May 27, 2004
  6. Yeah ive hear some reviews, but iam not getting a new boards as yet so
    ill Stick with a Audidgy 2 ZS it aint htta bad right :)

    And with a set of Logitec Z-5300s i should be ok.

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, May 27, 2004

    Shaun Guest

    Yeah ive hear some reviews, but iam not getting a new boards as yet so
    I wouldnt go ditching an Audigy for Soundstorm .. unless I really needed the
    realtime dolby 5.1 encoding. Audigy has the EAX3 which SS doesn't, and about
    the same CPU usage I believe.. Maybe the audigy2 is even less CPU hungry
    than nv soundstorm.

    Shaun, May 31, 2004
  8. There is more, All Audigy cards have a new driver update that gives them
    EAX 4 capability (win XP only, I think). Just download the driver update
    from Creative. Very nice since Creative doesn't license EAX above 2 to
    anyone. I can't blame them. So you won't get EAX 3 or 4 out of any other
    card

    Daniel Czajko, Jun 1, 2004

    Blahguy Guest

    IMHO EAX is over-rated. I have never had a game where it worked to my
    satisfaction. Always some screech, or bleep, or worse some kind of feedback
    loop, or effects that sound out of place (not to mention the performance
    hits). Based on my experiences I wouldn't waste money on an EAX 3 or 4 card.
    Surround sound is good enough for me ;)

    Blahguy, Jun 1, 2004
  10. Yeah an A3D card disk Creatives BUTTTT wish they were still arround
    A3D 5.0 by now :)

    Still got my old Vortex 2, never had it on 5.1 to try it out realy
    well.

    See ya.

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, Jun 2, 2004

    Darthy Guest

    Yeah... those A3D cards really kicked ass.... to bad they lost it,
    they were giving CL a run for their money, I still have my old
    one.... not being used.

    - - - - -
    Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

    - 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
    - White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
    God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

    Darthy, Jun 6, 2004
  12. If i win lotto or enherit a few hundred million ill buy back the tech
    off CL and make the cards again and get ride of EAX which sucks BADLY,
    3d sound where ?

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, Jun 6, 2004