Sound Blaster Live 24-bit card - I only get DD5.1 output with PowerDVD but not games

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Scott, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I have some basic questions about Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and the
    Sound Blaster Live 24-bit (SB0410) card. I searched on Google and
    Wikipedia without finding an answer I could understand.

    I have a DD5.1/DTS external amplifier/decoder and speaker system
    connected to my SB Live card through S/PDIF. I have set the SB Live
    speaker configuration to 5.1. When I turn on the digital connection
    and play DVD movies through PowerDVD, I get DD5.1 and DTS just like I
    should. However, all games, music, and the SB diagnostic utilities
    only use the left and right front speakers. All the other speakers are
    quiet, even during the SB diagnostics when the sound is supposed to
    move to each speaker..

    Is there some setting I'm missing to allow my PC to use the other 3
    speakers and subwoofer, or does DD5.1 only work when you hook up a
    Creative Labs' 5.1 speaker system directly into the card without a
    decoder?

    What puzzles me is if PowerDVD can output DD5.1 and DTS to my external
    decoder, then why can't games or other applications do the same? I
    searched Google for "PC games support DD5.1" and couldn't find a list.

    FWIW, my ECS/Nvidia chipset motherboard has built-in 7.1 sound and I
    had the exact same problem with the Realtek sound software... DD5.1
    and DTS only worked in PowerDVD. I assumed the onboard audio didn't
    work properly so I bought the SB Live 24 bit card to get DD5.1 in my
    PC games but it behaves just like the built-in sound. I must be
    missing a really basic concept here. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

    Scott, Sep 21, 2006