    Reak Tek or onboard audio. Will the onboard audio produce better sound than
    my Sound Blaster live? I don't plan on using more than two speakers.

    Thanks

    Arthur Lipscomb, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Arthur Lipscomb

    Jambo Guest

    I have always been led to believe that it is better to use a dedicated
    soundcard if you have one. Not only will the sound be better (think of what
    your sound card cost and then think about how much an onboard sound chip
    will cost in comparison!), but there should be a performace gain in games as
    the soundcard has dedicated processing power on board.

    Jambo

    Jambo, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Arthur Lipscomb

    Shep© Guest

    As above and most of these AC97 chips don't do hardware sound
    acceleration,another bottleneck when using media files :/

    Shep©, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Thanks

    Arthur Lipscomb, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Arthur Lipscomb

    Neil Guest

    I believe my SB Live can be purchased for about £10 or probably
    less these days (if you can get it at all), though it cost
    considerably more at the time. I'd've thought a deal of that
    cost is associated with the fact that it's a separate board and
    not down to the chips on it. I don't really know, but I suspect
    there's little to choose in cost between an old SB LIve and a
    modern on-board sound chip.
    Having said that I still use my SB Live in preference to the
    on-board sound chip on my MB, because I also have heard that the
    on-board sound systems tend to use up CPU more than dedicated
    cards. I've no real idea how true that is in my case, and I've
    not tested it.

    Neil, Aug 1, 2005