Sound output via built-in speaker or via stereo jacks

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, Mar 3, 2008.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Last century, I had a Power Centre macintosh which, if I recall, came
    with MacOs 7.1 (circa 1996).

    In this mac, there was a Sound control panel which let me force the
    sound out of the built-in speaker even if there was something plugged
    into the audio output of the computer. This capability seemd to go away
    with 7.5 and subsequent upgrades.

    You see, I have audio cables permanently plugged in between the Mac and
    the stereo. But I don't really want audible alarms to go out the stereo
    (and the stereo isn't always on, or "tuned" in to amplify the Mac's sound.

    Ideally, I would want alert sounds to come out the built-in speaker,
    while all audio media coming out through the jacks at back of machine to
    the stereo.

    has anyone achieved this ?

    Seems to me like a pretty basic requirement when you consider a Mac as
    an entertainment device.

    Do I need a second sound card, one to handle the good stereo audio , and
    the built-in one to handle the alert sounds ?

    JF Mezei, Mar 3, 2008

  2. JF Mezei

    Ian Gregory Guest

    I think SoundSource from Rogue Amoeba might do what you want.
    It is a free app that was recommended on the excellent MacBreak
    Weekly and can be downloaded from:

    http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Mar 3, 2008

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Many thanks. On paper, looks like what I need. But when I installed it,
    it just gave me "Headphones" as sound output options. If I unplug the
    cable to the streteo, then it gives me only the "Internal Speaker" option.

    Perhaps it is the specific hardware I have that causes this. (old G3).
    Still, my 1996 box was able to switch between internal and external
    speakers via software.

    JF Mezei, Mar 3, 2008