Sound prefs and multiple accounts

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Király, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Király

    Király Guest

    Greetings,

    I can go into my Standard account, open System Preferences -> Sound ->
    Input, and set the input device to Audio line-in port.

    Then I can go to my wife's Standard account, open the Sound pref pane,
    and change the input device to Built-in internal microphone.

    Then I go back to my own Standard account, open the Sound pref pane, and
    it is also set to Built-in internal microphone, and not Audio line-in
    port as I had originally left it.

    So it seems that the Sound pref is a global preference; the last user to
    set it sets it that way for everybody. Is there any way to make the
    prefs user-specific? My wife usually uses the built-in microphone to
    talk on Skype, and I usually use the line-in to record radio programs.
    It's a PITA to have to remember to change it.

    A bigger question: How can two users with non-Admin accounts change a
    global preference without having to authenticate with an administrator's
    username and password? Is this a bug or a "feature"?

    K.

    Király, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Király

    Király Guest

    Forgot to mention, I'm using an eMac with built-in microphone and
    audio line-in, and running Tiger with the latest updates.

    K.

    Király, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Király

    Király Guest

    Also forgot to mention; it seems that the "Sound Effects" tab in the
    Sound prefs does seem to be user-specific, but the Input and Output tabs
    are global. Where are these input/output settings stored? I had a look
    in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist but it's
    hard to decode what's in there.

    TIA
    K.

    Király, Dec 28, 2005