SOUND PROBLEMS IN ALL GAMES

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Orhan, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Orhan

    Orhan Guest

    Hi,

    After replacing my GA-8KNXP (rev 1.0, retail) with a new one (rev 2.0,
    OEM) I get sound problems in games. Morrowind, Prince of Persia, Big
    Mutha Truckers just to name a few. I've had to replace it because the
    first one was dead. (Dealer connected front headphone wrong.)

    I didn't reinstall OS (Windows 98SE). I think I didn't need that
    because of the same chipset, or? All programs run fine except sounds
    in games. DX Test doesn't report any errors. Direct3D Test and graphic
    performance in games are very good. All drivers are up to date.
    (Geforce FX5600 with Forceware 53.04, Realtek ALC658 driver v.3.54 and
    DirectX 9.0)

    Unfortunately there occur sometimes -sorry, I don't know the
    definitive word exactly- pops, clicks, cackling and tapping noises in
    game sounds. I hope you understand me. But this is for a short while
    only. And generally at start of a fight or action frame included sound
    and music files. At this very moment the game performance also
    decreases. Could it be graphic drivers?

    I'm concerned about my UPS (Antec True Power 380W). Could it be also
    damaged so that it doesn't provide the necessary current at those
    moments? Or it is the onboard sound chip ALC658 or it's drivers? I
    can't remember any sound problems in games with GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 and
    ALC655.

    I have P4 2.8C.

    Any ideas for the cause, please?

    Orhan

    Orhan, Jan 26, 2004

  2. The version 2.0 board uses a different audio chip than was used on the
    original GA-8KNXP. You very likely have the wrong audio drivers if you
    simply changed out the MB without making any other changes.

    Kilgore Trout Jr, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Orhan

    Dumdedo Guest

    Use a SBlive Sound card, as all Onboard sound chips except one are utter Crap,
    as they use the CPU for most of its driving power..

    Dumdedo, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Orhan

    Orhan Guest

    That's right. But ALC658 (audio chip on rev 2.0) and ALC655 (chip on
    rev 1.0) use both same drivers. The latest version on Realtek Website
    is 3.54.

    I had version 3.48 before changing out my motherboard. For the new MB
    I downloaded the newest one from Realtek (3.53) except Realtek media
    Player. The audio drivers and the player are separate downloads. First
    I did uninstall the older drivers and installed just the audio drivers
    without the player.

    And now I've got 3.54, the newest one.

    That's all.

    Orhan

    Orhan, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Orhan

    John Guest

    I have a different board witha similar sound chip and WinME. I had sound
    problems until I got the sound driver from the Microsoft update site. It is
    fine now.
    John.

    John, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Orhan

    Dumdedo Guest

    You can't get good sound from on board sound, its just not possible as they
    use the CPU to do all the driving, and when the CPU is needed for other things
    the sound crap out.

    Only the Nforce onboard sound, that is any good..

    Called nVidia Sound Storm Audio

    Dumdedo, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Orhan

    Randy Miller Guest

    That's funny that you should say that about the nForce onboard sound,
    as that's what my new board is, and for the first time in forever,
    DXdiag says that my system doesn't support hardware acceleration of
    sound.... whatever that does ;)

    Randy Miller, Jan 27, 2004
  8. Orhan

    Dumdedo Guest

    But have you got the latest Drivers ETC, and read the review on Toms about
    it, its compared to a Audigy

    Plus most Nforce cards do not support it.

    Dumdedo, Jan 27, 2004
  9. Orhan

    Orhan Guest

    Where did you get this sound driver from? I couldn't find any sound
    drivers on Microsoft Webpage.

    Yesterday I downloaded the latest version 3.54a from Realtek and hoped
    the sound stuttering in games would be solved.

    Nothing changed.

    Orhan

    Orhan, Jan 28, 2004
  10. Orhan

    Dumdedo Guest

    Yes get a SB live to fix it..

    Dumdedo, Jan 28, 2004
  11. Orhan

    John Guest

    I just went to the MS update page and it offered to install it for me.
    Perfect. Just need some decent rear speakers.
    John.

    John, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Orhan

    Orhan Guest

    Yesterday I disabled the on board sound and installed a Creative SB
    Audigy 2 ZS. No problems anymore.

    A recommendation:
    CTHelper.exe, a Creative application, must be disabled in startup
    list. It locks the system. The mine at least.

    Orhan

    Orhan, Feb 13, 2004
  13. Orhan

    Dimitris Guest

    I believe that your problem is a power problem. Disabling onboard
    sound and using PCI Audidy, worked because Audigy cards draw less
    power than these onboard audio chips. I believe that your pc locks at
    the startup due to power inefficiency(hard disks work more and all the
    other devices are initialized then). Remember me when you will add
    more pci cards.

    Dimitris, Feb 15, 2004
  14. Orhan

    Orhan Guest

    Sorry Dimitris. I think I didn't explain correctly the lockup symptom
    (my poor english!).
    It was NOT the onboard sound that locked my system. It was the
    Creative Software installed with Audigy 2 ZS.

    My system hasn't been locked at startup. It locked during internet
    activity. I found out that Cthelper.exe, installed from Creative CD,
    loads at startup and -according to some informations I read- uses up
    to 100% of CPU. After canceling its loading (msconfig/startup) the
    problem has been solved. But I don't know what this cthelper does
    during internet access.

    Thanks again.

    Orhan

    Orhan, Feb 16, 2004
  15. Orhan

    Orhan Guest

    Sorry again. But the sound problems in games persist even with SB
    Audigy 2 ZS. This time I get clicks and repeatings in sound. The game
    performance is very poor. I tried out a lot of graphic and sound
    drivers under Win98SE.

    The STRANGE POINT is:
    THE SAME GAME RUNS FINE without any sound and gaming problems UNDER
    XPPRO in same system.

    I will be crazy. What does XPPro have that Win98SE doesn't? What
    prevents me to play games under Win98SE with a fluid performance?
    Doesn't Win98SE like GA-8KNXP or SATA HDD's?

    I need some help, please.

    Orhan

    Orhan, Feb 20, 2004
  16. Orhan

    Dimitris Guest

    WinXP pro support APIC(Advanced Programmable Interrupt Control). It
    might be a IRQ problem after all, cause onboard chips always get a
    standard interrupt and you cannot change it.

    Dimitris, Feb 21, 2004
  17. Orhan

    Orhan Guest

    I have REPLACED my GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 with a rev 2.0 board WITHOUT
    REINSTALLING Win98SE (and XPPro). Could that be the cause? XPPro runs
    due to this APIC, but Win98SE doesn't? But, I think, all other
    applications except games run fine under 98SE.

    Orhan, Feb 21, 2004
  18. Orhan

    Orhan Guest

    Here is how I solved sound and gaming problems under Win98SE:

    Control Panel / Multimedia / Playback / Advanced Properties /
    Performance:
    Acceleration all the way to the left, and the sampling rate all the
    way to the right. Apply and OK. (Thank you Warthog!)

    I cannot enable EAX option anymore. But the nightmare has an end.

    Thanks for all comments.

    Orhan

    Orhan, Feb 21, 2004