Sound stops working when T40p is docked w/ Dock II

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Joe, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Greetings,

    I've had a T40p (Windows XP, SP2) that I've been using with a Dock II
    for about 6 months without any problems. I've recently noticed that
    when docked, though, I don't get any sound out of the laptop. This is
    true both of the audio out jack on the dock, and on the headphone out
    jack of the laptop itself.

    The odd thing is that sound is fine (both headphone and built-in
    speakers) when the laptop *isn't* docked.

    I've checked the obvious volumes and plugged and replugged audio cables
    and such, but am not sure what else to do otherwise. Any suggestions?

    Again, sound works fine as long as the laptop isn't docked.

    [Unfortunately, I'm not sure how long ago this problem started, so I'm
    not sure what bits of software I may have installed since that might be
    affecting this.]

    Joe, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Joe

    Chip Orange Guest

    Do you have any USB or other hardware devices connected to the doc that it
    could mistakenly think are a sound card? How about using device manager
    while it's not docked, and then while it's docked, to see if any new sound
    devices show up in their category?

    If that's the case, you may have to tell it, that the built in card is the
    "preferred" sound device, and that Windows should only use the preferred
    sound devices? I think you do this in control panel | sounds.

    hth,

    Chip

    Chip Orange, Mar 19, 2005