Sound Stuttering on SY-P4S-645DX DRAGON Ultra

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Dan Robins, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Dan Robins

    Dan Robins Guest

    I rebuilt my P4S-645DX for the third time last weekend. I updated the
    BIOS, all drivers, etc. and still have a stuttering problem. I'm not
    a technie by any means, but discovered that the USB 2.0 PCI board (the
    freebie) did introduce some conflict while plugged in. I'll work out
    installing the board once the sound problems are completely gone.

    I use the onboard soundchip and have no problems when playing back TV
    sound (line-in) from my All-In-Wonder 8500 card. Video works quite
    well. However, the minute the CPU gets involved...stuttering happens.
    It's not horrible...but it is grating.

    I've got two new Western Digital HDs (120GB-Master and 80GB-Slave)
    plugged into IDE 1 and a CD writer (master) and DVD player (slave) in
    IDE2. I've not installed any Raid drivers on IDE3 and 4.

    Both drives are recognized within Windows XP Pro as SCSI drives. I'm
    wondering if they should be installed differently (ATA) so I can use
    DMA. (I've no idea what the hell I'm really talking about, but I
    think if there has got to be a software/cache management solution so
    that CPU can do other things besides delivering uninterupted sound.

    I'm looking for any help,
    Dan

    Dan Robins, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Dan Robins

    Woobie Guest

    I got frustrated with the onboard chipset as well. All I can suggest is to
    get a seperate sound card that utilizes little cpu power. When I bought my
    board, I noticed that cpu resources were hogged when the onboard network
    port and sound were used. I already had some problems with the network
    turning off and on by itself, so after too much time being spent on the
    network, I shut it off and replaced it with a pci card. Then, my sound
    stopped studdering. It seems both like to use the cpu. I put both (net and
    sound) on seperate pci cards and all is great. No sound stuttering. So I
    guess, the onboard stuff likes to use the CPU too much.
    Joe

    Woobie, Nov 12, 2003