Sound System for old timer...Dell 2400

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mihalaki, Jan 16, 2011.

  1. mihalaki

    mihalaki Guest

    I have been using a very nice sound system, inexpensive, but good for
    my needs.

    All of a sudden, dead! No sound at all. An error message stated that
    I have no sound system.

    All cables, and plugs (including Power Converter Box) are accounted
    for, and fit tightly in their respective and proper ports.

    I can buy another such sound system for $20., but how can I be sure
    that it is, in fact, my hardware system and not the motherboard sound
    system. ,(No PCI card sound system on Dell 2400) . Also, can I
    install an inexpensive PCI Sound Card?

    Thanks much to all,, as always, helpful and courteous, except for
    that one grouch! (Go home and kiss your wife, and make up, then come
    back online!)

    MICHAEL P

    mihalaki, Jan 16, 2011

  2. mihalaki

    Pen Guest

    just put a set of headphones into the computer audio out.
    However, it most likely is the onboard since the only way
    windows knows about it is the onboard stuff.

    Pen, Jan 16, 2011

  3. mihalaki

    Bob Villa Guest

    They do have USB dongle sound adapters.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186046

    Bob Villa, Jan 16, 2011
  4. mihalaki

    Mike S. Guest

    I have seen the registry settings getting scrambled in these machines
    leading to the inability to use the hardware. The solution that worked for
    me is to go to Device Manager and delete the device; then reboot. PnP will
    redetect it and reinstall the drivers properly.

    Mike S., Jan 19, 2011