SoundBlaster Live/Value Sound Card Come with an Audio Out Port?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jay Chan, May 17, 2004.

  1. Jay Chan

    Jay Chan Guest

    My Dell 4300 comes with a SoundBlaster Live/Value sound card. I am
    trying to route the audio to my TV, then I can play recorded TV shows
    (in MPEG) in the TV. But I don't seem to find a way to connect the
    audio output to the TV. Please help.

    The sound card comes with various ports at the back, and it also has a
    head phone jack to the front of the computer case. The ports at the
    back are:
    - 2 for speakers
    - 1 for microphone that is not being used
    - 1 is an Line-In that I connect the audio cable from my DirecTV
    decoder box
    - 1 is called Digital Audio that is not being used (I have no idea
    what it is)

    I have tried to connect my TV to the Digital Audio port. But it
    doesn't work (obviously because the TV is expecting analog audio).

    I don't bother to try the microphone port because that is for voice
    input, not output.

    Is connecting to the headphone jack the only one out? If this is the
    case, I may as well forget about this and listen to the audio from the
    PC speaker directly (I don't want to see a cable constantly being
    plugged into the front of the PC).

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, May 17, 2004

  2. Jay Chan

    Tom Scales Guest

    Connect it to the green speaker out connector. Works fine to a TV or
    amplifier.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 18, 2004

  3. Jay Chan

    Jay Chan Guest

    Connect it to the green speaker out connector. Works fine to a TV or
    I am wondering what I should do with the PC speakers then. If I use
    the speaker out port to connect to TV, the PC speakers will not be
    connecting to anything, right? Am I missing something?

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, May 18, 2004
  4. Jay Chan

    S.Lewis Guest

    Go to Radio Shack (etc.) and find a splitter/adapter.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 18, 2004
  5. Jay Chan

    tony Guest

    speakers in TV *OR* PC speakers, pick one!

    tony, May 18, 2004
  6. THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM:

    The green port is for the speakers for a normal PC setup (and also for the
    front speakers of a 4-point or faux "surround" setup).. The black port is
    for the rear speakers in a surround setup. You should be able to connect the
    PC speakers to the green port and your TV to the black port and be just
    fine. (The same audio is sent to both ports by default or when in
    "non-surround" mode). This functions just like the splitter (Or Y-cord)
    another poster recommended. Except it's much more efficient and sounds
    better.

    You will need a special cord to hook up the Soundblaster to the TV (I'm
    assuming your TV uses RCA jacks). You need at 1/8"-stereo-to-dual-RCA chord
    like this:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_002_003_009&product_id=42-2483.
    (Be sure to get one long enough for your needs). The single pointed
    connecter goes into the SBLive's black port and the two RCA connectors on
    the other end go to the TV (Red for right channel, White for left channel).
    If you're into electronics you may have enough components around the house
    to make one of these up with a few adapters.

    Ricky W. Hunt, May 18, 2004
  7. Jay Chan

    Jay Chan Guest

    The green port is for the speakers for a normal PC setup (and also for the
    Good to hear that there is a solution to my problem. I will try to
    experiment with this and see what happens.

    If somehow this doesn't work, I will try the splitter that another
    newsgroup member has suggested.
    Thanks. I will go looking for it.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, May 19, 2004
  8. If it doesn't work before you go out and buy a splitter be sure to look in
    the Creative Surround Mixer app (in their Start Menu). You may have to
    fiddle with a few things there to turn the sound on (but I think it's on by
    default).

    Ricky W. Hunt, May 20, 2004
  9. Jay Chan

    Jay Chan Guest

    If it doesn't work before you go out and buy a splitter be sure to look in
    Thanks for the tip. I will try this in this evening or tomorrow
    evening.

    I didn't your last tip last night because I was struggling to get the
    S-video thing to work -- and the S-video thing still doesn't work. But
    that is a different story.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, May 20, 2004
  10. Jay Chan

    Jay Chan Guest

    I decided to get a splitter and used it to connect to the green
    speaker port in my PC. It works.

    I didn't try your tip of "not-using-the-splitter but
    use-black-port-for-TV and green-port-for-PC-speaker" because I still
    don't understand why that tip could work considering the fact that
    both the green port and the black port in my PC have already been used
    and are not free. I hope you don't feel offended.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, May 24, 2004
  11. Jay Chan

    S.Lewis Guest

    Whatever works. This has been a helpful thread on an issue that doesn't come
    up a lot.

    Thanks,

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 24, 2004