Soundcard locks PC !! Shuttle ST61G4 and XP Pro and Intergrated Realtek 650F

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bryan, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    I bought the following system in March:

    http://us.shuttle.com/specs2.asp?pro_id=432

    This pc is badas* except I can not get my on board RealTek soundcard
    to work. When I load the driver provided with the Shuttle MainBoard
    CD and enable the device, the computer locks up when the 'Welcome To
    Windows' Screen appears during the boot sequence - essentially when it
    tries to play that cheesey MS welcome music. I have gone out to both
    Shuttle and Realtek's website, d/l and installed the latest driver
    they are providing (in the case of RealTek they have a newer one
    posted than Shuttle does! v5.10.0.5530 dated 3/19/2004) and it
    continues to lock up during the boot sequence. If I disable the device
    in SafeMode, PC boots fine but I have no sound. When I re-enable the
    device while back in regular Windows XP Pro, and then try to play an
    MP3 or the OS generates any type of sound (browser click sound etc.)
    the PC immediately locks up. This is VERY FRUSTRATING and I am quite
    saddened as this is a new PC from a pretty reputable company. I have
    never been able to get it to work with multiple trials. Are these
    drivers not certified with XP Pro? Seems there may be a problem with
    the soundcard. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Any help would
    be very much appreciated. Thanks.

    Some additional Info re: the system
    1 Crucial 512 Mem stick
    3.0 Ghz Pentium
    HDD = Maxtor D740X-6L
    Product Name: FT61
    Product Version: 1.4
    BIOS Version: ft61s01z
    Serial Number: T61G00351D06819

    Bryan, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Bryan

    Bill Guest

    Any time a system locks up in normal mode on boot but will boot in
    safe mode indicates driver problem.

    1. Are you using a sound card? If so disable the on board sound in
    BIOS.
    2. Do you have current BIOS? If not download and install.
    3. Last option, sound chip on board may be bad.

    If I can be of any futher assistance please contact me at
    billzhills at hotmail dot com.
    I view and respond to too many post to keep track of them all.

    Bill
    Zephyrhills, Fla.

    Bill, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Bryan

    JSJ Guest

    Sounds like an error between the keyboard and chair. Please advise.

    JSJ, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Bryan

    JSJ Guest

    Sounds like a problem between the keyboard and the chair. JSJ

    JSJ, Jul 16, 2004