Soundproblems with A64 mainboard MSI RS480M2

Discussion in 'MSI' started by sandra, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. sandra

    sandra Guest

    Hello everybody !

    I bought a MSI RS480M2 mainboard with integrated graphics chip and
    onboard sound. The audio problems that I have with this board result
    in silence. No signal comes from the lightgreen phones jack. I use a
    Compucase PSU with ATX 24pin plug and also tried it with a ATX 20pin
    PSU before. The BIOS was flashed to version 3.3, so that should be ok
    on that side too.

    Did anybody solve the problem so far ? Or can you post what you
    additionally did or of what information you could get hold of in that
    matter ?

    It really bugs me. New mainboard, new processor but no sound !

    Regards,
    Sandra

    sandra, Apr 4, 2005

  2. sandra

    Gollum Guest

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:19:53 +0000,
    Hi,

    Did you load the audio drivers from the disk that came with the mb?

    Gollum

    Gollum, Apr 4, 2005

  3. sandra

    sandra Guest

    I used the original driver from the cd and because it did not work, I
    downloaded the newest drivers both with and without Live Update 3.69
    (network and audio, also bios which is 3.3). The drivers are
    installed, this is all in 32bit Windows 2000 SP4. I do not use an
    external graphics card, there is 512MB DDR400 RAM installed and a A64
    3000+ Winchester core CPU.

    Realtek Network Driver 5.612.0413.2004 Online-Version 5.612.0413.2004
    Realtek AC97 Audio Drivers 5.10.00.5760 Online-Version 5.10.00.5760

    Maybe it is too early to fix the problem, I don't know.

    Regards,
    Sandra

    sandra, Apr 5, 2005
  4. sandra

    Windmolen Guest

    Look for the newer drivers on the realtek-website. It fixed a problem I had
    with this board.

    Jan

    Windmolen, Apr 6, 2005
  5. sandra

    sandra Guest

    Hello Jan,

    I tried it with the Realtek drivers, but the volume icon in the tray
    together with the audio hardware devices in the system settings (line
    out, mic and midi) disappeared. The latest driver from MSIs' website
    made it show up again, but still no sound can be heard despite all
    pins of the PSU except the -5V are supplied to the board. Neither was
    it successful with the 20pin PSU having a -5V line and having used the
    latest driver from MSI/Realtek before also.

    That looks like a whacky individual board or too little amperes on the
    -5V strip of the alternative PSU or a general problem with sound in
    this board.

    If anybody has sound at all with this board kindly let me know !

    Thanks,
    Sandra

    sandra, Apr 7, 2005
  6. sandra

    JK Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:27:45 +0000,
    I have sound ! with the newest drivers from MSI. Windows XP.
    Latest bios, but had sound all the time. Have not tried any other
    drivers.

    But in X64 (boot manager): no sound, if MSI does not provide drivers.
    ATi's catalyst beta solves the graphics.

    You could check the audio in front jumpers. JAUD1, pin 5-6 and 9-10
    must be connected in order to use rear jack.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Apr 7, 2005
  7. sandra

    sandra Guest

    Dear John,

    Thank you for your reply. Great help at any rate ! :D

    I opened the computer case to look for the jumpers of the front audio
    panel. Both connections in question are jumpered by the green jumpers
    that come with the board. There is a print on the board saying "1" and
    "9" for pin 1 and 9. So pins 5 to 6 and 9 to 10 are connected.

    It seems to be a hardware problem anyway.

    I think I'll get in touch with the shop where I bought it for possible
    RMA or assistance.

    So, thank you so much for now. Maybe there is another cause for that
    and by solving it it will work. Who knows ...

    If there is something new, I will post it here. Maybe somebody who has
    another tip can also share his information.

    Thank you in advance and best regards,
    Sandra

    sandra, Apr 8, 2005
  8. sandra

    sandra Guest

    I only wanted to state: The faulty board has been replaced by another
    one and this second board works perfectly fine now. :)

    Regards,
    Sandra

    sandra, Apr 14, 2005
  9. sandra

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Have you tried the Realtek Win XP/2003 64 bit drivers here:
    ftp://210.51.181.211/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm64_a371.exe - the Realtek site
    doesn't list them at the moment but If you Google for "Realtek audio
    drivers" and open the cached page, the above file is the first one there.
    Ver A3.71 Dated 2005/04/12 Size 11552k

    Suggest you get it while the link still works if you haven't already done
    so.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, May 1, 2005