Sounds of Silencers Are Loud and Clear: PCs Are Too Noisy

Discussion in 'HP' started by MrPepper11, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. MrPepper11

    Talkin Horse Guest

    I have mixed feelings about this form of outsourcing. In my heart, it
    bothers me to see the jobs go offshore. In my brain, I know it's part of a
    natural and inevitable process, and we've got to work with the forces of
    nature and create new types of jobs if we want to stay on the cutting edge,
    just as so many jobs we have today (including PC tech support) didn't exist
    a generation ago. But putting that aside, I assume telephone tech support
    isn't likely to be much good, be it domestic or foreign. It's hard to find
    good people for those jobs, and remote diagnosing is often a very hard job
    to do even if you're good. And it's fairly typical to speak with people
    whose native language isn't English, even here at home. On the balance, I
    aspire to avoid tech calls until and unless I know exactly what I want them
    to do (like issue a repair order), and it doesn't greatly matter where the
    call goes.

    However, if it makes you feel better, I'll echo your sentiment with respect
    to Dell printers, in the way Dell tries to remain the sole source of printer
    cartridges. Because of this practice, I avoid buying Dell printers. Better
    to stick to printers that can be refilled from the corner store.

    Talkin Horse, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Based on your glowing recommendation, I tried to buy a computer today
    from Monarch. I sent them an e-mail using their recommended
    fill-in-the-blanks form, and got a response to only one of my four
    questions--just like what usually happens when I e-mail eBay or Amazon
    [Dell OTOH is usually quite complete in their responses to e-mail]. I
    sent Monarch another e-mail, but I haven't heard back.

    I still don't think I want another Dell, but I doubt I'll be bothering
    with Monarch.

    record hunter, Jun 7, 2005

  3. MrPepper11

    Ken Marsh Guest

    Hi,

    #Yeah, those Dells are really great quality, what can I tell ya. Dell
    #was rated l3.83 of 10 in the past 6 months while Monarch Computer was
    #rated 9.35 of 10 at resellerratings.com.

    Lessee... Dell sells DIRECT. Your web site reference is
    resellerratings.com which is for RESELLERS. No bias here, right?

    #The reason why the Dells are so QUIET is because they don't have a fan
    #on the HD

    Uh... no HD fan... so tell me, who does? Besides RAID boxes and high-end
    servers, of course.

    # and mount the HD often vertically inside a sealed metal cage
    #which reduces noise. The HD is the most critical part of a
    #computer--that's where your data is. Everything else is
    #replaceable--not your data. So Dells often have early drive failures
    #due to the HD running very hot. So hot sometimes that it will burn
    #your finger. Usually the HD fails right after the warrantee.

    <Glancing at 3 Dell machines of various vintages around him, thinking
    of several ex-Dell drives in home machines...>

    Uh... no. Every Dell I use at work has a horizontally mounted HD, which
    has little to nothing to do with drive failure.

    #They also skimp on everything--like putting IDE cables with only 1
    #connector to save a penny, and using 40 conductor vs. 80 on the CD
    #drives. Often there is no room to mount a second HD either, in case
    #you need to rescue your failing HD.

    Yes, lots of skimping, but bad examples. My MSI, my Asus, and my
    Gigabyte MB's all came with 40 pin IDE second cables. All three are
    considered top-tier boards and all three from top-tier makers. All of
    them I installed top of the line DVD drives that couldn't make use of
    the higher speed IDE I/O modes requiring 80 conductor cable, if they
    wanted to.

    There is lots of complain about pre-configured mass-produced PC's, you
    did get the power supply thing right. Too bad about the rest of your
    post.

    Ken.

    Ken Marsh, Jun 7, 2005
  4. MrPepper11

    TekWiz Guest

    Well, according to other posters, Dell hardware is no better or worse
    than anyone elses, so why buy Dell anyway if the support is so bad?
    Here's a post from another thread... They are sorry they got a Dell
    due to the bad tech support from india....

    From: <>
    Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers

    Subject: Re: Indian call staff quit over abuse on the line

    Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:55:11 -0400

    I'm so sorry we bought a Dell because of this. I gave up calling the
    tech support, even though I paid extra for it. The so-called techs
    always give non-India names also, as if we couldn't tell. American
    business people don't want to pay 7.00 an hour for American call
    center employees. It's really pathetic.

    Barb

    TekWiz, Jun 10, 2005
  5. MrPepper11

    SGD Guest

    So if it's brand name it means it's good right? People in the field
    They see more of these machines needing repair, because there are so many
    more of them sold.

    My new 8400 is dead silent. Has two connectors on the ribbon cable, extra
    drive rails and (at least to my touch) the hard drive is not exceptionally
    hot. (It's been my expireence that hard drives fail more often from voltage
    spikes on the line rather than heat.)

    Dell makes an outstanding computer "for the price".
    HP is & Compaq (owned both) are junk Don't know anything about a Monarch,
    probably just over-priced junk like a Orick Vacuum Cleaner.

    Personally I don't want a Rolls-Royce of computers; I want something that
    will do the job as inexpensively as possible for about five years so I can
    upgrade and not feel bad about how much I spent. Dell fits the bill nicely
    in that respect.

    "Rolls-Royce of computers" man did they see you coming....

    SGD, Jun 13, 2005