    Thanks for all the leads.

    Sam
    (Please post your replies here, my e-mail is spam proofed.)

    S.V.Proff, Feb 13, 2004

  2. S.V.Proff

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Just how old an application? That is, the lineage of the
    X86 family of Intel processors can trace back through the
    80286 processor. It means that the possibility exists that
    the application can run with a recent X86 processor, but
    with a few caveats, the main one being the inability of
    the code to compile properly at high processor speeds. And
    then there are other possible restrictions, depending on
    the peripheral devices that are also required by the app.
    But if you need an 80286 machine, there may be a few just
    sitting around in the bottom of closets or back corners of
    garages, etc. Let's see what this app needs.

    Mistoffolees, Feb 13, 2004

  3. S.V.Proff

    CJT Guest

    If the application is that fussy, chances are it requires a
    particular BIOS, too.

    CJT, Feb 13, 2004
  4. eBay

    Kenneth Seefried, Feb 13, 2004
  5. S.V.Proff

    Andy Guest

  6. S.V.Proff

    S.V.Proff Guest

    It is about 12 years old. I think it is currently running on 80286
    computers.

    You are raising good points. I am in the process of tested with a new
    computer. I found the source code, which turns out to be C++ compiler
    with Borland. I will check out and see if it would work. I do have
    some older computers but sooner or later they would die as well.

    Thank you!

    S.V.Proff, Feb 14, 2004
  7. S.V.Proff

    S.V.Proff Guest

    Did not think about that. Thanks for the warning.

    S.V.Proff, Feb 14, 2004
  8. S.V.Proff

    S.V.Proff Guest

    New ones?

    S.V.Proff, Feb 14, 2004
  9. S.V.Proff

    Identity Guest

    Why? Modern PC CPUs are still 286 compatible.

    But if you need a computer of that performance bracket, a 386SX would be
    much the same speed. Or you could run a utility which slows your
    computer down to the needed speed.

    Identity, Feb 15, 2004