    I have googled this, but have not come up with a good source.

    Thanks !!

    --James--

    James, Feb 17, 2007

  2. James

    HDRDTD Guest

    If anybody would have it, Black Box should. (blackbox.com)

    HDRDTD, Feb 17, 2007

  3. James

    Pat Conover Guest

    Don't know about the "direct-bury cat5 cable" part, but www.monoprice.com is
    a good source for all types of PC and video cabling.

    Pat

    Pat Conover, Feb 17, 2007
  4. i never heard of "direct burial cat5" (which you might want to search on)
    that comes terminated. usually you want a jack on the ends and so punch it
    down on a block or a surface mount jack. but since you say it is just 100'
    it sounds like this isn't a business application. if it is just to share
    internet with a out building or a neighbor and you don't want to go wireless
    or use powerline networking then why not just run two or three regular cat 5
    cables terminated as you like. it may not be ideal but it is done. and i
    suggest two or three incase one goes bad you can just use one of the others.
    the cables are cheap, the labor is not. you don't want to have to dig
    another 100' trench anytime soon. but if it just an outbuilding on the same
    electrical panel then i highly recomend going with powerline networking. it
    is a snap and very fast these days.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 17, 2007
  5. Christopher Muto, Feb 17, 2007
  6. James

    Leythos Guest

    Buy bulk cable and a crimper and a cheap tester and do you own. While you
    can custom order them like you want, it would cost more than the crimper
    and ends. Blackbox will make any cable you want www.blackbox.com

    Leythos, Feb 17, 2007
  7. James

    Ron Hardin Guest

    A step-on lawn edger is nice for burying coax, I've found. Do it after a rain.
    Wobble it a little and thumb the cable into the slit, then stomp it shut. I do
    about six feet and then thumb in.

    You can find buried cable with an AM radio. Place radio on lawn tuned to a moderate-weak
    station, and orient the radio until the station disappears (so it's in a null of the
    internal loop antenna). Drag the radio across the grass in that orientation and the station
    will pop up as you cross the cable. Works every time.

    Ron Hardin, Feb 17, 2007
  8. James

    Al Dykes Guest

    You won't find lengths of anything but CAT5 patch cord pre-terminated
    and you wouldn't want it, anyway. You want solid cable for anything
    permenant.

    Crimping plugs is a real PITA and you don't want plugs on permenant
    cable, anyway.

    Use 110 punchdown blocks at each end. Home Depot has them and they
    come with the "tool" necessary to make the connection.

    When you screw up a plug crimp (and you will) you have to cut it off
    try again. When you've crimped both ends and it doesn't work, you
    have a real problem deciding which end to cut off. You can burn
    through lots of plugs before you go buy 110 blocks like you should
    have, in the first place.

    With 110 blocks, you can recrimp several times, until you get it
    right.

    Al Dykes, Feb 18, 2007
  9. James

    Pat Conover Guest

    Some really good advice from you folks. Ron, I don't even know if I have an
    old portable radio? Al, 110 punchdown blocks from Home Depot. That's a
    keeper! No wonder I follow this newsgroup.

    Now that all the network gurus are here, I am thinking about going to a
    Gigabit network from a 10/100mbs peer to peer Win XP network with simple
    file sharing. I currently have Cat5 or Cat5e (need to double check)
    hardwired to my 10/100 Linksys network switches and the cable modem
    upstairs, with a 10/100 Linksys switch downstairs uplinked to the upstairs
    switches.

    Can I just add a 10/100/1000 switch downstairs to give the downstairs
    Gigabit networking or do I need to replace all the switches and nics with
    Gigabit equipment? Will my current Cat5 or Cat5e cabling reliably work with
    Gigabit networking? I think the answer to the last one is NO. I think I
    need Cat6 cabling, but thought I would check with you folks before going
    down the wrong networking path.

    The first floor is pretty easy to upgrade since I have a full basement to
    run cabling. The second floor is another matter though. I don't think Cat6
    or Gigabit even existed back when I had the house hardwired.

    I'm rebuilding a Dimension 8100 (I'll post again on that topic) to use as a
    cheap dedicated peer to peer file server and want to stuff it in the
    downstairs closet. I thought maybe I could also use it as a video file
    server like Tom Scales has setup. But getting the office file server setup
    is my priority right now.

    Thanks as usual, Pat

    Pat Conover, Feb 18, 2007