Source for K6 "Plus" CPUs for diehard 'Super Socket Seven' users

Discussion in 'FIC' started by R. Asby Dragon, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. R. Asby Dragon, Nov 28, 2003

  2. I've been looking for some of those chips, but do you know of any
    sources that don't charge such absolute rip-off prices? $39.99 is
    ridiculous when I can sometimes get a a retail boxed Athlon XP1800+
    with heatsink/fan plus a mobo for only $20, especially when the mobo
    can use existing PC133 memory (or PC100 if I underclock by 25%) and is
    compatible with older PSUs that don't have that square +12V P4
    connector.

    larrymoencurly, Nov 30, 2003

  3. R. Asby Dragon

    nobody Guest

    newegg has k6-2 500s for $17 shipped

    nobody, Nov 30, 2003
  4. R. Asby Dragon

    wkoep1 Guest

    $20 - outstanding. where can one these bad boys be had?

    see sig for unhacking reply-to addy
    Bill
    To reply, remove all capital letters and dashes.
    Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:18 AM
    "...they can't stop this thing called Jesus." Big Tent Revival, BTR.
    "Genius is 90% perspiration." George Gilder

    wkoep1, Nov 30, 2003
  5. R. Asby Dragon

    Kyle Brant Guest

    He told you, at newegg, but maybe you did not recognize the site:
    www.newegg.com

    Kyle Brant, Nov 30, 2003
  6. They've since cut it to $16, shipped. Unfortunately, my mobos won't
    cache more than either 64M or 255M of main memory, and having any more
    memory in the system causes Win98 to slow to a crawl. I'm interested
    in the K6-2+ because it has its own L2 cache that can get around this.

    larrymoencurly, Nov 30, 2003
  7. R. Asby Dragon

    wkoep1 Guest

    Thanks, I am familiar with newegg. However, the context of the newegg
    mention was for the K6 CPUs not the "I can sometimes get a a retail boxed
    Athlon XP1800+ with heatsink/fan plus a mobo for only $20".

    I am really keen for a deal that is reasonably close to $20 or even less
    than $60.

    see sig for unhacking reply-to addy
    Bill
    To reply, remove all capital letters and dashes.
    Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:14 PM
    "...they can't stop this thing called Jesus." Big Tent Revival, BTR.
    "Genius is 90% perspiration." George Gilder

    --
    regards,
    Kyle

    wkoep1, Nov 30, 2003
  8. Nowhere. :( I meant to type $60. That proves there's a definite
    Saddam - Al Quida conspiracy.

    larrymoencurly, Nov 30, 2003
  9. R. Asby Dragon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Same here. I'd love to dump the three Celerons I have on my LAN and re-use
    the 256MB SD-RAM each is running in one of these combos.

    Spill the beans R. Asby Dragon please.

    ~misfit~, Nov 30, 2003
  10. R. Asby Dragon

    wkoep1 Guest

    Okay, Saddam - Al Quida conspiracy boy, where can you get them for $60.

    see sig for unhacking reply-to addy
    Bill
    To reply, remove all capital letters and dashes.
    Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 05:42 PM
    "...they can't stop this thing called Jesus." Big Tent Revival, BTR.
    "Genius is 90% perspiration." George Gilder

    wkoep1, Nov 30, 2003
  11. ROBERT FISHER, Dec 1, 2003
  12. R. Asby Dragon

    Kyle Brant Guest

    | wrote in message
    |

    | > > AMD K6-II+ 550MHz CPU $39.99
    | >
    | > I've been looking for some of those chips, but do you know of any
    | > sources that don't charge such absolute rip-off prices? $39.99
    is
    | > ridiculous when I can sometimes get a a retail boxed Athlon
    XP1800+ with
    | > heatsink/fan plus a mobo for only $20,
    |
    | > $20 - outstanding. where can one these bad boys be had?
    |
    | Nowhere. :( I meant to type $60. That proves there's a definite
    | Saddam - Al Quida conspiracy.

    teaser

    Kyle Brant, Dec 1, 2003
  13. R. Asby Dragon

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Get a Duron 1600 from newegg and patch the L2 bridge to enable all the
    cache, you'll have an xp2000 then for $42. BTW, most of these Duron
    chips will run 333 FSB (lots of info in this thread:
    http://tinyurl.com/x5kc)

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 1, 2003
  14. Fry's Electronics. Their price varies from $60-90 for mobos with
    Athons/Durons ranging from 1700+ to 2400+, with and without heatsink.
    The mobo used to be a K7S5A or Pro (SiS chipset), but now it always
    seems to be some VIA-base thing.

    If you're not near a Fry's (non-Kroger type), Newegg.com often has
    similarly priced deals.

    larrymoencurly, Dec 3, 2003
  15. Sorry-- a K6-2 500 is NOT a K6-II+ 550MHz .. apples and oranges !

    Silly little things like:
    the II + having 128KB on-die FSB L2 cache (the III+ has 256) and the non+ has
    none-- plus the added Athlon instruction sets on the + chips... makes your mobo
    "L2" become "L3" and gets around the usual MVP2/3 384MB caching problem.

    a K6-2 500 is a heat problem-- I don't have the figures at hand but my
    "calibrated finger" says OUCH with a high-end SS7 fan on any SS7 mobo . If
    that mobo supports a + chip -- you could probably run just a mongo heatsink and
    no fan and my " calibrated finger" wouldn't hurt a bit .. remember it's a
    laptop chip!

    R. Asby Dragon, Dec 17, 2003
  16. R. Asby Dragon

    D & B Guest

    ....added Athlon instruction sets on the + chips...
    don't think so!

    D & B, Dec 17, 2003