Soyo 7VCA no post no bios on swap to different enclosure HELP!

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Roscoe P Pendoscoe, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. I have a box I just transferred all working hardware to from a working
    computer that will now not post

    Does have no OS as tossed an old 20gig and installed a new Seagate
    160gig in its place.

    Was in a box that an 24/7 for about 5 years without a feakin' hiccup
    and moved those hardware items to a new shorter case to fit under a
    desk. That and the small 20gig was the reason I did this.

    The CD writer light and power light on the case comes on but no option
    to get to BIOS. Could this brand new PSU be bad? MAybe I am missing
    some simple thing someone could point out. I have put about 20
    computers together but may have missed or forgot something. It is
    driving me nutty and I wanted it up and out of my way before my wife
    came back from a biz trip.

    I do have an almost identical box I retired with same m-board that was
    working fine but does have an OS but is Win 98SE. I was thinking of
    throwing the 160 in that one to see what I get.

    This is a computer my Wife uses for her online class and summer break
    is almost over and she is starting to look at me sideways. If I don't
    get this thing going, I might be going. Kidding!

    Anyway it is a SOYO board
    P-III 1ghz
    Mushkin 512mb
    Seagate 160
    Plextor 708 DVD
    2 Maxtor 20gig as slaves
    SB-Live
    Antec 400 Watt 2.0 PSU

    I could probably and might post this to a different hardware group but
    I happen to like this one. It is so, well I just can't put my finger
    on it. Maybe so many interesting knowledgeable types here.

    Regards,

    Roscoe aka MrShade

    Are the newer Antec 2.0 PSU's creating an issue perhaps? Old was an
    Enermax 350 watt PSU. Just a thought. old has 20 pin, new has 24 pin
    with option of removing the 4 uneeded part.

    Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it
    the more people assume you have.

    Roscoe P Pendoscoe, Jun 29, 2007

  2. Roscoe P Pendoscoe

    f/fgeorge Guest

    Unplug ALL the plugs you used to plug the board into the case and
    start over. You probably have a wire crossed or backwards. Do the
    absolute minimum and then add more. The 20/24 pin is okay, I have a
    couple of those myself. Try just the power to the motherboard one,
    from the power supply, and then use a pen or something to jump the mb
    startup pin. If that works then add that plug permanently, etc.

    f/fgeorge, Jun 29, 2007

  3. I will try it that way although I had removed everything but the
    video card. It di sit for about a month before I started putting it
    back together but ran fine before swapping cases.

    All 4 green lights are on on the board.

    Would I get no display if one of the pins was reversed? What about
    cmos battery?

    Thanks for your reply before

    Roscoe P Pendoscoe, Jun 30, 2007
  4. Roscoe P Pendoscoe

    f/fgeorge Guest

    It looks like we are talking in at least 2 groups about the same
    thing. Yes you might need to get a new cmos battery, they do not last
    forever, but I have some that are over 4 years old and still work
    fine. Of course the machine is running, so when it needs rebooting it
    might be dead. My machines run 24/7/365 doing a Distributed Computing
    Project.

    f/fgeorge, Jul 1, 2007

  5. Yeah, I did cross post to another group I use at times.

    Anyway, it is now up and XP Pro is installing as I type this. I
    reseated everything for the 10th time and swapped keyboards.
    I can't be certain what the issue was exactly.

    It is the first time I had that particular issue in all the boxes I
    have put together.so I was in the dark literally. I had tried most
    everything I could think of and then resorted to asking for some help.

    Thanks again for your helpful replies and time.

    Regards,

    RP

    Roscoe P Pendoscoe, Jul 2, 2007