Soyo DRAGON 2 PLATINUM EDITION problems

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by MD, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. MD

    MD Guest

    Any ideas....

    I just recently upgraded to the 'Soyo DRAGON 2 PLATINUM EDITION' along
    with a Pentium 4 3Ghz processor, 1 GIG of Corsair PC4000 RAM,
    GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256 and an Antec True 550W power supply, 6 fans
    total (all new). A Soundblaster Audigy and a Sony DVD burner also
    accompany this system.

    Overheating should not be a problem, I'm in a small apartment with an
    AC unit nearby, the room is usually around 65 degrees, and both
    problems happen the instant I boot into Windows XP.

    (2 different issues here)

    1. What has been happening is that the (onboard) Intel PRO 10/100/1000
    network adapter keeps disconnecting and reconnecting my network
    connection about every 30 seconds. I've noticed it happening by
    watching the LED's on my Linksys Router, and it still happens
    withoutthe computer being turned on. Now, I have tried placing my old
    10/100 NIC card in the system and connected the CAT5 cable to it and
    have had no problems just like before I decided to upgrade. This has
    led me to believe that the Motherboard is the culprit.

    2. As most of the other threads discuss, this board has also
    experienced random reboots doing simple stuff, and it always seems to
    be the same error. Windows error reporting says its a device driver
    (the error give no info.).

    I am running everything conservatively (auto settings, have not tried
    manual settings yet, upped the RAM voltage to 2.75), no overclocking.

    Any suggestions/ comments?!

    MD, Jul 31, 2003

  2. I have the exact same problem with the onboard network card, and it's
    pissing me off. Every 30 seconds or so it turns off. Mine switches back and
    forth from 10 to 100 mbs. I will be replacing it with a card this weekend
    with a nic card.

    I have a Dragon 400 lite
    I don't have the shut down problems, but it soudns power related. It might
    also be heat related.
    Joe

    Joe and Julie, Aug 2, 2003

  3. If its switching back and forth from 10 to 100 mbs, have you tried going
    into the network adapter propertys and manually set it for 100 or 10 instead
    of auto? If so with what results?

    Jim

    Jim Burghdoff, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Thanks for the reply. You have just fixed it. I'll check back later and
    report on what happends.
    Joe

    Joe and Julie, Aug 4, 2003
  5. MD

    MD Guest

    Well, I've bought a new Antec TRUE 430W and it seemed to be better at
    first, but it has since acted up again with the same symptoms. I
    really can't believe that it is a heat issue since the problems happen
    within only minutes of booting up. The inside is cool to the touch as
    well. My fear is that the motherboard was damaged during shipping.

    Now, when I try entering Window XP's recovery console to format a
    drive, I get a BSOD error "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area". This would
    indicate either a memory issue or a driver issue, but since I'm in the
    console I can't see that it is a driver issue. I then tried removing
    one RAM module to see if the BSOD would disapper (if it was possibly
    bad), then I tried swapping the other RAM module, but still the same
    BSOD error.

    This truly is annoying.

    MD, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Why are you trying to format a drive within the recovery console? If your
    trying to format a drive that doesn't have XP installed on it, that should
    be done in Disk Management which is located in Administrative Tools in the
    Control Panel. If your trying to format the drive with XP on it you can't do
    this in the recovery console. It must be done in setup.

    When you put in the Soundblaster Audigy did you disable the onboard sound in
    the BIOS? Also why did you use the Audigy card in the first place? When you
    had the two sticks of memory in did you have them in the corrisponding DIMM
    slots to take advantage of the Dual Channel DDR? Why did you buy the lower
    output power supply? (just wondering on this the 430 watt supply is also
    fine for your application).

    Did you make sure you installed all the proper XP drivers and not put in a
    ME or 98 driver by mistake? Finally which BIOS file are you using?

    Jim

    Jim Burghdoff, Aug 4, 2003