    governmental power." General Douglas MacArthur

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

    Felix Miata, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Felix Miata

    Scott G. Guest

    I imagine this would be fixed by applying the os2ldr from one of the more
    recent (say 12/2003) "testcase kernels".

    Scott G., Jan 8, 2004

  3. Felix Miata

    Felix Miata Guest

    The one failing was from 27 Oct. The last I downloaded was 13 Nov. The
    newest on eCS FTP is dated 26 Nov but contains 13 Nov. There are none on
    testcase now, and I don't know anyplace that captures and saves them for
    those of us who don't visit testcase often. :-(
    --
    "The object and practice of liberty lies in the limitation of

    Felix Miata, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Felix Miata

    dave Guest

    Put XP on this board, it ROCKS!!

    Dave

    dave, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Felix Miata

    dave Guest

    Put XP on this board, it ROCKS !!

    Dave

    dave, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Sir:
    About as helpful comment as saying eat bog poop.

    William L. Hartzell, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Sir:

    <http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/w420031113.zip>

    William L. Hartzell, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Felix Miata

    Felix Miata Guest

    Looks like "recent" means sometime in December, as opposed to
    November. I had since found that. 20031113 is 14.096e, which works no
    differently than what I had. :-(

    Felix Miata, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Sir:

    That site would have any more recent testcase kernel, if they exist. I
    was busy in December and may have missed one being posted.

    William L. Hartzell, Jan 10, 2004
  10. This is true for all VIA chipsets. The culprit is the int line to IRQ
    mapping. There exists online 4 interrupt lines in the VIA chipsets.
    Check PCI programm with parameter -p from Craig Hart ported from Veit
    Kannegieser.

    The solution is to use SiS chipsets. These have 8 interrupt lines. All
    USB controllers have completely different int lines. Now there are only
    not enough IRQs, and the INT-IRQ mapping from the Bios is not so good.
    But SPCIIRQ driver helps. I've tested this on an Asrock K7S8E 3.0 mainboard.

    cu
    Daniel

    Daniel Krueger, Jan 11, 2004
  11. Felix Miata

    Scott Guest

    Sorry!

    Scott, Jan 12, 2004
  12. SiS is NO solution at all. Ever tried to use sis900 and USB in
    parallel? USB won't work, NIC can't hold a connection. CRAP.

    Yes, I've here some mainboards with SiS chipset running. They are all
    problematic even when USB is NOT decativated in BIOS when you have to
    run the on board NIC.

    Sure, there is a BETA NIC that knows to handle that problem - but it
    is BETA and nobody (including the developer) knows when it gets GA. As
    the developer gets NOT payed he can use only his spare free time to
    work on - so it would be a long time until the driver gets finished.

    The Real OS/2 Guy, Jan 12, 2004
  13. Felix Miata

    MMI Guest

    Not so. I have two Asus A7V333 boards (with VIA KT333), but they are a
    bit different beasts, since one features AC'97 soundcard and LAN NIC,
    the other AC'97 soundcard and Promise RAID. One of them puts USB
    device on all except one PCI slot, the other hooks all USB devices
    onto one IRQ. Both have the same KT333 chipset, but they behave
    differently. Perhaps BIOS revision issue?

    Cheers,
    Martin

    MMI, Jan 12, 2004
  14. I didn't use the onboard NIC, because we're using old BNC cable.
    It's beta, but if it works it's OK. Though I must say I didn't test
    neither the onboard NIC as I mentioned above nor the beta driver.

    cu
    Daniel

    Daniel Krueger, Jan 13, 2004
  15. Maybe my statement was too strict. I read this on a mainboard page. And
    saw it on an Asrock K7VT2 board with VIA KT266.

    The problem is, that there is no internet site where you can see the PCI
    routing table in advance before buying the board. And the mainboard
    manufacturer doesn't write such things in their manuals.

    cu
    Daniel

    Daniel Krueger, Jan 13, 2004
  16. Does not help in most cases, but you can view the routing table by
    downloading a 'bios update' and unpacking it.
    most easy for Award BIOS:

    awardeco 4saw53.bin - or LH(a)/ModBin
    show_pir original.tmp

    Veit Kannegieser

    Veit Kannegieser, Jan 13, 2004
  17. Felix Miata

    Greg B Guest

    Well, it's more of a chipset issue...given chipsets work pretty much
    the same in this regard, no matter what they are soldered into.

    So it would likely be useful for groups who support various OSes
    to figure out which chipsets are likely to work, and stick with
    those. Even if the mainboard isn't known to work, if its chipset
    works elsewhere it's likely a good bet.

    Greg

    Greg B, Jan 13, 2004
  18. Felix Miata

    Leo Tick Guest

    so how can I find out which chip set is ok for OS/2 so I can
    buy may new MB

    Leo Tick, Jan 14, 2004
  19. Felix Miata

    Felix Miata Guest

    IBM seems to focus its development efforts on (surprise surprise) Intel,
    so if you have to gamble on something unknown, Intel is probably your
    best bet. OTOH, virtually every install tip for VIA recommends the first
    thing to do after installing windoze is to install the VIA 4-in-1
    drivers, which seems to say something VIA should be providing in
    hardware is instead found only in driver software, which for OS/2 is
    liable to be delayed, if it ever happens at all.

    Felix Miata, Jan 14, 2004
  20. It's simple. When you likes to have the on board sound working avoid a
    board with SiS chipset, prefere any with VIA chipset - else does'nt
    matter, get what you like.

    The Real OS/2 Guy, Jan 15, 2004