    appears to be powered (router light is on). But nothing I do (none of
    the wake on lan programs I've found) can seem to wake it up.

    Any ideas?

    spotter, Jan 31, 2007

  2. don't you need magic? ;-)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

    The Magic Packet is broadcast on the broadcast address for that particular
    subnet or the entire LAN. The listening computer receives this packet,
    checks it for the correct information, and then boots if the Magic Packet is
    valid.
    The Magic Packet is a broadcast frame, transmitted over port 0 or 7 or 9.

    what did you do or try?

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Jan 31, 2007

  3. spotter

    spotter Guest

    after a lot of effort, I actually figured it out, I was sending the
    magic packet, but it wasn't doing it.

    It seems with WOL you have to set a flag on the NIC each time it
    boots. Windows has an option in network configuration to tell it to
    do this, while in linux you use "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" (where g says
    to wake up on the magic packet, but can also specify other ways to
    wake up).

    There is very little documentation anywhere that says you have to do
    this. I guess this is why soyo tech support responded to my email
    asking how to get wol to work with

    "We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We do
    not
    support the Wake-On-LAN feature and the only reference we have to
    offere
    is the forum at google. "

    my jaw dropped with that answer.

    spotter, Jan 31, 2007
  4. kinda dumb huh?
    They sell it but don't know what it does or how to work it! lol

    glad you got it!

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Feb 1, 2007