Soyo overly sensitive to overheating? HELP!

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Bubba Gump, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. Bubba Gump

    Bubba Gump Guest

    I recently (April) purchased a new Dragon Ultra Platinum KT600 MB. I know
    this board is two years old, but I needed a new MB when my old ASUS died,
    and got a great deal on it at a local suppliers' closeout sale.

    I bought the fastest CPU the board supports, an Athlon XP 3200+, and a good
    *solid copper* heatsink. But if I run the processor at full speed, after
    just a few hours, the computer spontaneously crashes.

    I replaced the fan that came with the sink with one twice as large (was
    60mm square by just 10mm high. Replaced it with one 20mm high), and added
    two case fans. This dropped my die/case temperatures by almost 8'C <!!!>,
    but the crashing persists (usually when the cpu tops 51'C).

    The ONLY way to stabilize the computer is to run my processor at a lower-
    than-rated speed (changing the settings in BIOS so it thinks it is a 2500
    +). When I do, the computer runs cooler and 100% stable.

    Before you ask, yes I checked the processor. It is indeed an authentic AMD
    Athlon XP 3200+.

    The procesor and MB should both tolerate much higher temps (at least into
    the mid 60'C range), so I'm at a loss to understand why I crash at just
    50'. I didn't spend the extra money on a 3200+ processor just to run it at
    2500+. Please help!

    Bubba Gump, Jul 27, 2005

  2. Bubba Gump

    Tom Dauphin Guest

    Ever consider it might be the Power Supply? Just a thought...

    Tom Dauphin, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Bubba Gump

    JoshIII Guest

    What are you using for your heatsink compound?

    You know what PCM is?

    Athlon XP warranty requires heat sink compound be of the PCM (phase change
    material) variety.

    I would be surprised if a local computer store even had it. I've never
    seeen one that did. You have to order the stuff direct from the
    manufacturer.

    I had a heck of a time getting them to stick to the heat sink without
    tearing them apart. I found its works best just rolling the material up
    into a little ball and then flatten it back out on the heatsink using a
    round magic marker. Its about consistancy of silly puddy.

    PCM is the stuff that is on the on the HeatSinks that comes with
    CPU/HeatSink packaged from AMD..

    Its a different color depending on the manufacture.

    If interested I will give you the source I used.. It was in Cleveland, Ohio
    and one of the approved sources by AMD for the Athlon XP.

    JoshIII
    upstate south carolina

    JoshIII, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Bubba Gump

    Matt Guest

    Yes, and also the RAM and the video card. Test by swapping, if possible.

    Bubba, reduce the system to minimal components, then try memtest-86.

    Matt, Aug 2, 2005