Soyo P4I875P-Dragon 2 V1.0 and Sonata Case + Sigma

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by PRiveraSr, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. PRiveraSr

    PRiveraSr Guest

    Just an update to previous posts, which of course I lost when I redid the
    computer with a clean install, :(.

    I decided to install whatever I could and functionally, I am left with three
    problems.

    The first is that I cannot connect the 4 pin female USB wires from the Sigma
    (USB2 based card reader, and a Firewire port) card reader to the
    motherboard because the two connections on the motherboard are fully
    occupied with the conneting chord that come from the Sonata case. (They use
    up the whole connection pins, rather than the headers separately, so that I
    feel that I am wasting connections).

    The second functional problem is that the two hard disk drives I placed
    inside the box, have more that 1/4" on either side of the case so that it's
    quite difficult to attach the hard disk to the box inside the Sonata case.
    Difficult to explain unless you have one of these. Is there an extra space
    filler that I should have to screw in those hard disks?

    The third and last functional problem has to do with the connection of the
    5.1 speaker system to the on-board's sound system, but I'll leave the
    details of this for another thread.

    Having said all of that, this system rocks! I put in a Radeon 9800 Pro for
    video, 1 gig of DDR non ECC memory -good quality brand- a new 120G WD, a
    160G Maxtor, as slave, and a Pioneer DVD player. I kept the old 19" CRT
    display, and the old 3.5 floppy drive... I have already installed almost all
    my software, and ... well, let me stop here, but, yes, it is very silent.
    It's been on continuously for 48 hours, and not a peep, with CPU temps at 45
    deg. Centigrade. ...

    Can anyone give me some ideas on the two problems metioned above?

    I was exchanging ideas with Ray, but I lost all the save exchange we had.
    Sorry.

    Pablo

    PRiveraSr, Jun 9, 2004

  2. PRiveraSr

    Ray Guest

    Hi Pablo, glad to hear that you're up and running.

    I think you're out of luck with the connections, I had to lose a couple
    on my system because of lack of ports. It has not been a problem though,
    I just have to remember which ones are not functional. The card reader
    is a priority though, it must work.

    I assume you're talking about the internal drives, in the lower part of
    the case?
    The drives attach to the carrier from underneath, using the four rubber
    grommets and special screws with a plain body. From what you describe,
    you must be trying to use the side holes, that won't work.

    I have one of my drives connected on the IDE 3 line which is controlled
    by the Highpoint controller, I had it as a slave to the master drive but
    changed it over to its own port. I don't know if there is any advantage,
    or not, to this arrangement, but it seemed like a good idea to try. The
    only thing I notice is that XP will report a delay write failure to that
    drive sometimes if I've had the system "sleeping", but it resets itself
    if I reboot.

    You have the Radeon 9800 Pro and it works, I've resigned myself to
    having a boot problem with mine, It works great when running, it's just
    getting it to run that is a pain. It certainly bumps the sound level of
    the Sonata up a couple of notches doesn't it, having that extra fan in
    there.

    Ray........

    Ray, Jun 9, 2004

  3. PRiveraSr

    PRiveraSr Guest

    Hi Ray.

    Ray, does the disk drive you connected to IDE3, have an ATA 133
    specification? I don't have much knowledge about these things, but I believe
    this mother board has IDE1 and 2 as ATA100 connections, whereas ATA3 and 4
    are ATA133 connections which of course need to be enabled with the Highpoint
    drives... in a way similar to the way the Serial ATA controler has to be
    enabled. It is OK to connect an ATA133 unto an IDE 100 connection because
    they are generally compatible backwards, but I'm not sure how compatible
    would the reverse be. Could that be the reason for the delay write failure
    on that second drive?

    Thanks for the hints on how to attach the harddisk drives. I'll open the box
    tomorrow, to see if I can see how it is that the drive is placed under the
    tray... humm.

    Thanks also for tradeoff comment in order to enable the card reader (a must,
    I agree). I still wonder if there is not a card that will have a USB pinout
    as part of the inside of the card. I know that one can add regular ports
    with a PCI card, so it must be possible to have one with internal USB
    pinouts so the multi-card reader connection can be made to it.

    I wonder if anyone on this newsgroup is aware of this or knows whether I'm
    just barking up the wrong tree... :(.

    Best regards.

    Pablo
    ..

    PRiveraSr, Jun 9, 2004
  4. PRiveraSr

    Jim B. Guest

    Connecting an ATA100 drive to a ATA133 controller is no problem. The
    controller will only run the drive at its proper ATA100 speed.

    Jim B., Jun 9, 2004
  5. PRiveraSr

    Jim B. Guest

    There is no such thing as a four wire USB cable for the Sigma box. USB will
    have no less then 9 wires.

    Jim B., Jun 9, 2004
  6. PRiveraSr

    Jim B. Guest

    Sorry normal USB connections have 9 wires. After doing some checking the
    P-4I875P Dragon 2 V1.0 comes with the Sigma box that if you look on the SOYO
    web page is also sold as the Bayone DV. This Sigma box only has two cable
    connections. The seven pin cable is for the FireWire connection and the four
    pin cable is for the USB connection for the card readers, so this was my
    mistake the cable isn't for added USB connections like a 9 wire would be
    for. The cable is strickly for the card readers. This cable gets plugged
    into one of the GREEN USB connectors on the motherboard. If you go to the
    SOYO web site and then to Downloads you can then go look under START HERE
    and then select Sigma Box then to the right choose BayOne DV then to the
    right select the only option "Manual". You must have Addobe Acrobat Reader
    (Free Download) to view this file. It will show you the correct direction
    and pin outs for connecting these cables. Hope this helps you.

    Jim B., Jun 9, 2004
  7. PRiveraSr

    PRiveraSr Guest

    Jim, you are a life saver. Thank you for identifying the type of Sigma box,
    and where I could find the manual. The instructions are very clear, and now
    I know how to make the connection tonight. :)

    On the other hand, doing this will eliminate the use of one of the USB ports
    that exist in the Sonata case (front). It would still be nice if there were
    a way to add an internal gizmo (highly technical reference, sorry) that has
    those four connectors, something like a PCI card... Be that as it may,
    tonight that Sigma box will be fully functional, thanks to you!!!.

    Jim, please tell me something that is unrelated to the subject of the
    thread. Is there a similar illustration on how to attach the hard-disk
    drives to the lower enclossures within an Antec Sonata case? TIA!

    Pablo

    PRiveraSr, Jun 9, 2004
  8. PRiveraSr

    Jim B. Guest

    Pablo,

    From what I've seen the Sonata has two front mounted USB ports. You should
    have no problem using both. One of the Green USB connectors on your
    motherboard runs two usb ports. So the two green connectors would give you
    four more USB connections if you weren't using the Sigma box. Since you are
    using the Sigma box the remaining Green connector would run both USB ports
    on the front of your case. If they are both not working check to make sure
    you have the pins correctly attached to the proper wires from the case.

    Now for your question on the mounting of your hard drives go to this link:

    http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15138

    You will see a link to the manual for this case on the right hand side of
    the page. It lists how to mount the hard drives there. For the internal
    drive bays just sqeeze the metal clips on the sides and slide them right
    out. Mount the hard drive in the tray using the screw holes on the side of
    the hard drive and then just slide it back in till the metal clips lock it
    into place. With the hard drive mounted in the tray the the plugs on the
    drive will be facing the door of the case or 180 degrees around. So they are
    mounted at a 90 degree angle from what most hard drives are mounted in a
    computer case.

    Hope this helps you.

    Jim B., Jun 9, 2004
  9. PRiveraSr

    PRiveraSr Guest

    Jim and Ray, you guys are great! The two hard-disks are now securely
    fastened. Furthermore, the Sigma box has all its ports operational. I
    haven't tested the firewire, since I don't yet have a firewire peripheral...

    I should say for those that lurk around here, that all of these connections
    are really simple. The problem with those that don't do this often is not
    considering the need to do your reading in a slow and deliberate manner and
    at the same time visualize what you read. Do this, and the difficulties you
    will face will be minor and there will always (I hope) be Jim Bs and Rays,
    in this newsgroup and others, that are willing to help.

    Thank you again for all your help!!!

    Now back to see what it was that the second internal USB wire connector from
    the Sonata case is really supposed to do. ;)

    Pablo

    PRiveraSr, Jun 10, 2004