Soyo P4X400 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition & HDD S.M.A.R.T. Setting

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by mhajii210, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. mhajii210

    mhajii210 Guest

    Bios Revision P4VX2_2AA7 (5-29-03 Release Date)
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    Intel Pentium4 2.20 GHZ
    PNY 512MB RAM x2
    ATI 9800 Pro 128MB 8x AGP
    SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer

    I have been having problems with enabling the HDD S.M.A.R.T.
    Capability setting under BIOS since day one of owning this board
    (10-1-02). What is happening is I can enable the setting and
    everything is fine (shows enabled under DMI Pool) until I restart or
    shutdown. Then it always goes back to disabled. The latest BIOS
    revision (5-29-03) states that this issue has been fixed (bug fix),
    but after updating the BIOS there is no change. I am still getting
    the exact same thing happening. I contacted Soyo tech support to
    supply, different harddrive and/or IDE cable. Then the rep told me to
    reflash the BIOS. After trying all that (yes I've already tried
    flashing and resetting CMOS settings using jumper) the rep finally
    tells me that I can send the motherboard in for repair. My question
    is simply this... what do you guys think? Is it possible there is
    something wrong with the board, or is it more likely that the BIOS
    revision did not completely solve the S.M.A.R.T. setting resetting bug
    (at least for my configuration)? Please note that every other CMOS
    setting is correctly saved, and I am having no stability issue.
    Luckily, I purchased extended warranty on the board, but as you know
    it is a pain to remove everything. Please let me know what you guys
    think about this since Soyo tech support is no help. Thank you!

    mhajii210, Dec 25, 2003

  2. mhajii210

    dave Guest

    Does your drive support SMART?
    If it does, I do not think I would worry about it. Most of the drive
    manufacturers have a utility that can be run to check the drives
    status. I have SMART disabled on mine.
    Dave

    dave, Dec 26, 2003

  3. mhajii210

    mhajii210 Guest

    Thanks for the reply Dave. Yes my drives do support SMART. In fact I
    am using a Windows based program called Active SMART which shows that
    SMART is enabled for my two 80 GB drives. I guess I'll just forget
    about the BIOS setting. I also have a Tekram SCSCI card that my old
    scanner is plugged into. Maybe that conflicts with the BIOS SMART
    piece of crap or another setting I have in CMOS is messing it up. Do
    you think that the HDD SMART Capability in BIOS will give an error
    message during POST if something is wrong, or is it supposed to simply
    enable SMART for the drives? My motherboard manual is pretty vague
    about what it actually does. Seems funny to me that Active SMART
    shows that SMART is enabled even though the setting is disabled in
    BIOS. Thanks again Dave!

    Morad.

    mhajii210, Dec 27, 2003
  4. mhajii210

    GT-Force Guest

    I have the same MB with 2x80Gb Matrox ATA133 drives running @RAID 0.
    I have the same problem. I think, SMART only works if you use the drives as
    single drives, connected to primary or secondary EIDE connections, not in a
    RAID array. I may be wrong, but this is what I think is happening (gut
    feeling :) ).

    Good Luck.

    GT

    GT-Force, Jan 12, 2004
  5. mhajii210

    Jim B. Guest

    GT
    SMART is not supported by the Highpoint controller, any drive
    connected to the controller be it in a RAID array or as single drives
    will not be able to use SMART.

    Jim B., Jan 12, 2004
  6. mhajii210

    GT-Force Guest