    PC2100 DDR 266 256MB sticks in it with an AMD XP 2400+ CPU.

    TIA,

    -Tom

    Tom Rogers, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Tom Rogers

    farmuse Guest

    if you can get it for a good price, like around 100 usd, then its worth
    buying. My Dragon Ultra Platinum runs great, no problems, XP 2100+ OC to
    2200 MHz, 2x PC 3200 in slot 1 and 3, radeon 9500 pro, but I dont do RAID
    and I am not using the bayone dohicky, no need for that. Rock solid stable ~

    farmuse, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Tom Rogers

    Greg B Guest

    It seemed like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately, it's a high-hype
    low-quality, poorly-supported product. You can look up my posts to see
    the problems I've had (I'm not the only one). But the jist of it is:

    1. On board LAN activity causes XP lock-ups when heavy audio
    activity occurs. No fix from Soyo; my solution was a PCI
    LAN card.
    2. On-board RAID corrupts large files when run in RAID 1 mode.
    No solution from SOYO other than to RMA the board AND send my
    drives (yeah sure) etc. to them for perhaps weeks.

    SOYO will eventually take a board back...but what do you use in the
    mean time? They won't cross-ship a replacement, even a refurb, even
    if you give them a credit card as a deposit. They also seem to charge
    (?) for warranty service. Finally, they seem to point the finger at every
    other component in the system besides their merchandise. That's fine
    if you have two of everything else to swap before you RMA the mboard...

    The trouble reports became frequent here...SOYO seems to have
    responded by pulling the link to the newsgroup off their support
    site. So people having trouble couldn't find help so easily, but
    at least it wasn't so obvious what kind of troubles were being
    had.

    Note also that a lot of people here have had trouble getting the
    FSB up to full speed with any stability (without overclocking).
    RMA seems to be the solution there.

    Some others have had to RMA because the AGP 8X bus doesn't like
    certain video cards.

    When it works, it works well. But the defects are nasty, tend to
    hit you after you've put the thing in production, and the manufacturer
    is worse than most when it comes to service.

    I'd look elsewhere. Or, as Consumers Reports says:

    There are better choices

    Greg

    P.S.: Be prepared for a certain syncophantic element
    here to hop up and down in protest of an opinion
    that differs from theirs. If you don't agree that
    SOYO products are great, you are a 'troll.' They
    probably believe that 'Wagner's music is better
    than it sounds.'

    Greg B, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Tom Rogers

    CyberCFO Guest

    Mine runs great, no problems.

    AthlonXP 1700+ TBredB clocked to 2000MHz (2400+) using 12x166

    I use the onboard nic and sound and have all 6 usb ports spoken for. I
    have used Win98SE, Win2k and Mandrake Linux 9.1 without issue.

    The only thing I cannot speak for is the Highpoint RAID, as I only use it
    as a standard IDE controller. Other have reported problems, but I cannot
    confirm, and I have never had a problem with a drive on the Highpoint
    channels.

    CyberCFO, Jul 2, 2003
  5. SOYO pulled the link because this newsgroup--thanks to people like
    Large Fruit, and a lot of your posts, and those of one or two
    others--was reading like
    alt.knock.soyo.and.do.not.help.others.with.their.problems

    Denny Wheeler, Jul 2, 2003
  6. Just a datapoint: based on the past 8 or 9 months' postings in here,
    the Dragon Lite boards have been far and away the biggest PITAs of all
    SOYO products. Now, that's been almost exclusively the KT-333 DL
    boards--I don't recall seeing any posts about the KT-400 DL.

    Also worth mentioning that the vast majority of KT-333 DL boards that
    were troublesome were purchased at Fry's.

    Denny Wheeler, Jul 2, 2003
  7. You'd get considerably better performance with PC2700, especially if
    it's rated CL2.

    Denny Wheeler, Jul 2, 2003
  8. I am running an Athlon 2600+ XP @ 333mhz FSB, 1024 MB's of PC 2700 RAM (a
    Mushkin and a Kingston stick) and have had zero problems since installing a 400
    watt power supply. The 350 watt OEM PS that came with the case did not get along
    with the SY-KT400 DUP at all. I use all 6 USB ports, the onboard LAN and love
    the CMI Audio. Do yourself a favor and get Klipsch speakers to make full use of
    this boards audio capabilities. Just make sure to keep the subwoofer at least a
    couple of feet from your CRT monitor otherwise its magnetic field does funny
    things to your display. Rock on dude!

    David F. Mishiwiec Sr., Jul 2, 2003
  9. I've had the Black ultra edition running here for almost two months now
    with no problem with an Athlon XP 2400 and 1 gig of PC2700 DDR. I run
    Windows XP Home Ed. and use the Soyo's onboard sound and LAN all the time.

    Robert Schiele, Jul 2, 2003
  10. Tom Rogers

    Greg B Guest

    No, Soyo pulled the link because they could not keep people
    from telling the truth, and they couldn't handle the truth,
    which did not cast their products and service in a good light.

    Greg

    Greg B, Jul 3, 2003
  11. Tom Rogers

    Barry Jones Guest

    If performance is your goal then look towards an Nforce board, almost
    every major board maker produces a model with either a Via or nForce
    chip EXCEPT Soyo. I have a SY-KT400 Platinum Ed board which is fine
    for OEM/office type use but will not OC beyond 2300mhz with my AMD
    2700+ processor, nor will the bus go beyond 169 mhz. The voltage
    limits are too low and the Via memory controller chip is not all it
    might be( I never see more than 80% memory effeciency). Notice the
    coming and going of the k400A chip in such rapid fashion and the K400
    chip is even less capablethan the chip in the SY-KT400 board. Myself,
    as soon as I can afford it, I plan on upgrading to either an Abit NF-7
    or an Epox 8RDA3+. It all depends on what you plan to do with the
    board, if all you want is an office type machine then this board is
    fine for something more look elswhere.

    Case: Antec w/5 fans (2 intake and 3 Exaust) and 350w PS.
    Processor:AMD 2700+ W/Swiftech HP heatsink
    Soundblaster Gamer card
    HDD's: 2/ 60GB Maxtor 133
    Samsung combo DVD/CDRW
    Ram: 2/512mb Samsung PC3200

    PS, I think the reason Soyo discontinued the link to this site IS all
    of the bad press they were getting. Only the truth hurts. I've had my
    own run ins with Soyo tech support. The best(most responsive) is from
    the Home site in Taiwan.

    Barry Jones, Jul 3, 2003
  12. You have your uninformed opinion. I have my information from someone
    who'd much rather the link were still up.
    <shrug>

    Denny Wheeler, Jul 3, 2003
  13. Tom Rogers

    Greg B Guest

    Seems to me we're saying the same thing. SOYO didn't like the content,
    so they stopped referring their customers here.

    You claim that it was a natural business response; I view it as a cynical
    and vain attempt to keep consumers from reading freely posted opinions
    about their products. (And I'll give you that some are rather extreme,
    but Soyo has really pissed off some customers.)

    You seem to claim some sort of 'inside track' which casts some doubt
    on your willingness or ability to be an objective evaluator of SOYO
    products from a consumer's point of view.

    Perhaps that explains your tendency to invalidate legitimate negative

    Greg

    Greg B, Jul 4, 2003
  14. Oh, ad hominem now, eh? Says more about you than about me, pal.

    Denny Wheeler, Jul 4, 2003
  15. Tom Rogers

    Greg B Guest

    Exactly...suggesting that SOYO has more than its share of things
    to grouse about.
    Interesting. First you say that it's 'not the general grousing'
    then you characterize other people's problems with the vendor and
    their products of being of 'very little substance.'

    So, Denny, you're saying that it was 'specific non-substantive
    grousing?'

    I just want to be clear.

    Perhaps you are looking at a different news group. I recall seeing
    mostly hardware issues here. Along with firmware and a very few
    software issues.
    If you wish to pontificate about semantics and protocols,
    perhaps you might want to get it right.In fact, the link
    WAS to a 'site.' In particular to the Google Groups site
    with appropriate URL parameters to activate access to the
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo site.
    What rubbish. What cynical, syncophantic, self-serving rubbish!

    This group was going strong, providing all of the tech support
    that SOYO tech non-support was failing to provide at the time
    they dropped the link. Lots of people were getting help, and
    lots of people were exposing SOYO's problems in a public forum
    along the way.

    What the group failed to serve (but which Mr. Wheeler continues
    to attempt to make it serve) was Soyo's self-interest. Soyo
    couldn't control it, so they dropped the link, and with it
    what is arguably the best opportunity for people with problems
    to get meaningful support from their peers. Who, by the way,
    seem to have a lot more on the ball than SOYO's in-house techs
    whose primary focus seems to be on swapping power supplies
    and memory and making the customers 'pay' for SOYO defects.
    They'd get that reply from some people, and they'd get suggestions
    for solving the problem from others. Either is a legitimate
    suggestion,
    from a business perspective. At some point, it makes sense to cut
    one's losses. After all, it doesn't require swapping too many memory
    modules and power supplies to cover the cost of a different
    motherboard.

    Some people use every opportunity to warn consumers off SOYO.

    Others take the opportunity when asked.

    I count myself in the latter group, and feel that by virtue of owning
    a defective SOYO product (still) and having dealt with tech support
    to no satisfactory conclusion (still) that I have every justification
    for doing same.

    I also would be amongst those who would advise 'if you have one
    inkling of an issue with a SOYO board, bail out of ownership
    sooner rather than later.' If you look at my experience, and that
    of other folks here who've had wonky boards, things seem to go
    from bad to worse.
    I can and do blame SOYO for that reaction. Companies who put their
    good name ahead of getting their customers with difficulties the
    most and best help available don't deserve a good name.

    Greg

    Greg B, Jul 7, 2003
  16. There was a lot of that. Some from you--yes, you did detail your
    issues at one time. A lot from the Large Fruit (most of whose
    problems, I suspect, stemmed from his ignorance and pigheadedness)
    The link was to the the Google groups site. THIS ng is not a
    'site'--the poster I was correcting called the group a 'site' (as many
    newbies to usenet do).

    As I said before. Ad hominem says more about you than me.
    More ad hominem. And in this case an outright lie. But then, it's
    obvious Greg will lie if it serves his purpose. Which is why I'll no
    longer discuss this sort of issue with him.
    There were--at about the time SOYO removed the link--a great number of
    posters who never received any reply but 'dump it.'

    I'm through with you on this topic.

    1. I've better things to do.

    2. You're clearly in 'my mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts'
    mode.

    Denny Wheeler, Jul 7, 2003
  17. Tom Rogers

    John Guest

    but the 2400+ is a 266 fsb cpu and runs better when ram is
    synchronous

    John, Jul 9, 2003