SP/DIF recording on Audigy Platinum 2 ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Frederick Smith, Dec 23, 2007.

  1. Hi there ...

    I am having a bit a bit of a problem recording digital audio with my
    Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2.

    I connect the digital co-ax output from either a CD player or DVD player to
    the input at on the front panel, and I can hear the audio through the
    headphone monitor - so the signal is getting to the soundcard OK. But if I
    try to record it, I get either a low frequency "motor boat" sound, or
    nothing at all.

    Also ... when recording from a digital input like this, what am I supposed
    to do select as a sampling frequency ? - Surely the bit rate and sample
    sizes are dependent on the incoming signal ?

    Has anybody managed to have any success with this - or have I just got a
    duff card ?

    Regards

    Frederick

    Frederick Smith, Dec 23, 2007

  2. Frederick Smith

    Durround Guest

    Why X-post to groups nobody reads?

    Durround, Dec 23, 2007

  3. Hi Frederick

    I dont have a Soundblaster Card, but I think I read somewhere a while
    ago, that you need to select 'Record what you hear' in the control
    Panel, or something like that. Certainly SB cards are not great.

    Phil

    Philip Walton, Dec 23, 2007
  4. Frederick Smith

    David Looser Guest

    I've recorded from a Sky+ to an SB Audigy via an optical SPDIF connection
    and it worked fine. There are two "Windows Mixer" control panels. One is the
    "Playback" panel which includes "sliders" for each of the enabled sound
    sources with a tickbox mute option on each, the other is the "record" panel
    which includes sliders for each of the enabled sources and a tick-box to
    select the source. One of those sliders is called "What-U-Hear" or somesuch
    phrase, but if recording from SPDIF it's better to select the SPDIF input
    direct.

    David.

    David Looser, Dec 24, 2007

  5. You can select "What You Hear" if that's what you want to record. You
    can select other things as well. See what choices you have. (Note
    that this is in the soundcard's control utility, not in Cubase).
    There's another possibility - that the card shows in Cubase as two
    separate input devices, Soundblaster Analogue and Soundblaster SPDIF.
    You'd have to choose the right one when defining an input in Cubase.
    You know how to do that?

    One of those approaches will work, assuming your card isn't broken.
    And it doesn't sound as if it is - the digital signal is getting in
    and being turned into analogue for the monitor output, it's just
    Cubase that can't "hear" it.

    I agree, Soundblasters aren't great. But yours will do this simple
    job OK. The trouble is, people who know enough to troubleshoot your
    problem aren't likely to be Soundblaster owners :)

    Laurence Payne, Dec 24, 2007
  6. Frederick Smith

    Arny Krueger Guest

    What input are you recording?
    44.1 Khz.
    Nobody much uses this method to transcribe a CD to a PC any more.

    They use proper digital transfer software like CDEX or EAC - both of which
    are free downloads.

    The only reason I can think of to go the way you're going is if the CD has
    some kind of copy protection on it.

    Arny Krueger, Dec 24, 2007