1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

SP not starting, garbled video on Sun x4150

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by dancoff0, Jan 20, 2018.

1. dancoff0

dancoff0

Dear friends,

I have a number of Sun x4150 servers at my university. I have a problem with several of them, and Google indicates to me that it is quite a common problem. Unfortunately, I found no resolution. I am hoping that someone here has found a solution.

The symptoms are that the server powers on normally, the fans come on, the hard disk lights flash, etc. However, the computers never boot up properly. If I access the service processor through a serial cable, there is never any output at all. Using the same cable and laptop, I can see the SP boot up on a correctly functioning server and can interact with the SP as expected.
    If I set the J19 jumper, a misbehaving server will eventually boot to its POST screen, but the output is garbled and unreadable. Similar results obtain when using a bootable DOS usb stick to restore the SP's firmware: the screen is so garbled as to be unreadable.

I have tried replacing the CMOS battery with a brand new one, and setting the jumpers to clear the CMOS memory. I have swapped non-functioning motherboards into known working enclosures. Nothing corrects the fault.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Best regards,
    Dan

dancoff0, Jan 20, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question