SP not starting, garbled video on Sun x4150

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by dancoff0, Jan 20, 2018.

  1. dancoff0

    dancoff0

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2018
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dear friends,

    I have a number of Sun x4150 servers at my university. I have a problem with several of them, and Google indicates to me that it is quite a common problem. Unfortunately, I found no resolution. I am hoping that someone here has found a solution.

    The symptoms are that the server powers on normally, the fans come on, the hard disk lights flash, etc. However, the computers never boot up properly. If I access the service processor through a serial cable, there is never any output at all. Using the same cable and laptop, I can see the SP boot up on a correctly functioning server and can interact with the SP as expected.
    If I set the J19 jumper, a misbehaving server will eventually boot to its POST screen, but the output is garbled and unreadable. Similar results obtain when using a bootable DOS usb stick to restore the SP's firmware: the screen is so garbled as to be unreadable.

    I have tried replacing the CMOS battery with a brand new one, and setting the jumpers to clear the CMOS memory. I have swapped non-functioning motherboards into known working enclosures. Nothing corrects the fault.

    I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice.

    Best regards,
    Dan

    dancoff0, Jan 20, 2018