    is not knowledgeable so I would not want them to try the upgrade
    themselves) ?

    Jerry

    Jerome M. Katz, Sep 18, 2004

  2. They are not preinstalling SP2 yet.

    Edward J. Neth, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Jerome M. Katz

    David Casey Guest

    The upgrade is nothing more than downloading a file, clicking on the file,
    and waiting for it to finish.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    David Casey, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Jerome M. Katz

    Ben Myers Guest

    True, as long as one has braodband. Dial-up is different. The download takes
    lots longer, assuming that the dial-up line holds its connection... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Jerome M. Katz

    David Casey Guest

    Good point. I'm just so used to using broadband anymore I tend to forget
    about the folks with dial-up. :)

    David Casey, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Edward J. Neth, Sep 18, 2004
  7. Jerome M. Katz

    Ben Myers Guest

    Also useful even for people with broadband. Installing from a CD is a lot
    quicker than waiting for the download to complete... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 18, 2004
  8. Jerome M. Katz

    Toy Guest

    ah but waiting a week or more for a disc from Microsoft or trying to find a
    magazine in the shops could take much longer than the broadband hour to
    download and install

    toy

    Toy, Sep 18, 2004
  9. It just goes to show that if it is included on the HDD by Dell, it
    will work perfectly. But if the individual does it, there's hell to
    pay later. This is a clue for those idiots who blame Microsoft for the
    supposed failure of SP2!! So, SP2 doesn't suck...does it!! It's your
    computer configuration that sucks! Betchya!! So quitchya bitchin'

    Michael P Gabriel, Sep 18, 2004
  10. Jerome M. Katz

    Colin Wilson Guest

    The upgrade is nothing more than downloading a file, clicking on the file,
    I had problems on a 3 week old 2400 installing from the official M$ SP2
    disc. The security centre had a mind of its own, and apps fail randomly.
    This had never been an issue pre-SP2.

    And then there's trying to get installers to work...

    I just bought a bluetooth device, and SP2 throws out dire warnings for
    (literally) 10-15 minutes of continual popups.

    Then the installer crashes.

    This is the newest version of the installer, not the one from the CD in
    the pack - its a Trust BT180 device.

    I'm behind a router, and had ZA 4.5x and Kaspersky installed, and i'm
    still seriously considering f*cking SP2 back to where it came from - it
    isn't worth the hassle !

    Colin Wilson, Sep 18, 2004
  11. Jerome M. Katz

    WSZsr Guest

    If you want help, try posting in the appropriate Microsoft newsgroup.

    WSZsr, Sep 18, 2004
  12. Jerome M. Katz

    David Casey Guest

    Followed by burning the file to CD so you don't have to download it again.

    :)

    David Casey, Sep 19, 2004
  13. Jerome M. Katz

    David Casey Guest

    Huh?

    SP2 has worked fine on my system from the minute I installed it. It works
    on my Dell 8400, my home-built MSI motherboard AMD CPU based desktop, and
    both of my Compaq laptops.

    David Casey, Sep 19, 2004
  14. Jerome M. Katz

    David Casey Guest

    How do you mean the security center had a mind of its own? Which
    applications failed randomly and what were the error messages?
    What kind of popups? Just random windows or actual error messages? What
    is the error message when the installer crashes?
    What happened when you used the one on the CD included with your bluetooth
    device?
    I would check your pre-SP2 configuration and make sure all was well there.
    Just because you don't see any problems out right doesn't mean they aren't
    just below the surface. All the people I know who installed SP2 on their
    systems (both Dell and otherwise) have overwhelmingly reported no problems
    or nothing they weren't able to solve rather quickly.

    Personally, I would dump ZoneAlarm because I've had nothing but problems
    with it. But that's just me.

    David Casey, Sep 19, 2004
  15. Jerome M. Katz

    Colin Wilson Guest

    I had problems on a 3 week old 2400 installing from the official M$ SP2
    It wouldn`t detect the virus killer or firewall, and kept annoying the
    crap out of my until I disabled the check.

    As for the random apps, the system just seems less stable since the
    update - hard to pin it down to any particular app
    The popups were warning that it wasn`t a signed driver - but that`s
    despite the installer giving the option to disable the warnings. 10
    minutes solid clicking on "you are trying to install a driver that..."

    The installer crashed mid-install at about 75% while copying files and
    simply hung completely.
    Same thing
    What would there be to check on a stock 2400 with only a working virus
    checker, firewall, and spybot S&D installed from new (and all the windows
    updates) ? - apart from that the machine is clean - the missus only uses
    it to check mail and surf...
    Only once had a problem with it - on an old P166 machine that had McAfee
    on there...

    On that very subject, I feel a rant coming on - new post time ! ;-)

    Colin Wilson, Sep 19, 2004
  16. Jerome M. Katz

    Jan Guest

    I ordered the SP2 CD from Microsoft - it was delivered via Purolator. I
    was at work so had to go and pick it up. When I went to the Purolator
    office I said to the gal - can't believe MS ships these things via
    Purolator instead of just regular snail mail - must cost them a fortune.
    She said yes but MS wants a signature and they end up shipping back a
    lot of them as when people find out they have to actually go pick the CD
    up from Purolator depot, they just don't bother.

    Jan, Sep 19, 2004
  17. Jerome M. Katz

    Sparky Guest

    Sparky, Sep 19, 2004
  18. Jerome M. Katz

    Sparky Guest

    How long since you did a fresh install of XP?

    Sparky, Sep 19, 2004
  19. Jerome M. Katz

    Hank Arnold Guest

    They can order SP2 on a CD for free from MS...

    Hank Arnold, Sep 19, 2004
  20. Jerome M. Katz

    Hank Arnold Guest

    If I had a clue what you were trying to say, I'd probably flame you.....

    Hank Arnold, Sep 19, 2004