    work around the introduced incompatibilities.

    Until then, run an anti-virus and firewall and you will be secure
    enough.

    Larry Caldwell, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Jerome M. Katz

    Sparky Guest

    If OP had a clue, he probably wouldn't have said it. ;)

    Sparky, Sep 19, 2004

  3. Jerome M. Katz

    David Casey Guest

    I had the same problem with Norton's until I downloaded a patch from
    Symantec. Otherwise, I just turned off the check. No need for Windows to
    try and confirm what I already know (my firewall and anti-virus software is
    working).
    Interesting. You're the first person I've seen mention this without being
    able to pin it down to any particular piece of software.
    I would see if the manufacturer was going to release signed drivers then.
    Not really a Microsoft problem since they just write the OS while the folks
    making equipment for machines need to be writing the drivers. :)
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you did a clean install of
    Windows? It's been my experiences that every so often, a nice clean
    reinstall is a perfect fix to all those little problems that seem to crop
    up over time. It's amazing how crowded and junked up the registry gets
    after a while because of crappy uninstall programs.
    What did others trying to install the same piece of hardware experience?
    Did you find anything on a Google search?
    Not sure, I'm just throwing ideas out. I've heard of a number of folks
    claim SP2 problems only to have it narrowed down to something which wasn't
    right with their system before they installed SP2. Either way, there are
    ways to fix everything. It just takes some searching the 'net for the
    other folks having the same problem, and hopefully finding out what they
    did to fix it.

    At the least, an email to the manufacturer of the piece of hardware you
    were trying to install should be in order. If nothing else to let them
    know you're having problems installing it with SP2.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    David Casey, Sep 19, 2004
  4. Jerome M. Katz

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you did a clean install of
    The only thing is, the machine is only about 3 weeks old... it shouldn`t
    need a clean reinstall so soon in its young life :-}
    Not had a chance to look yet, a holiday abroad looms close :-}
    That`s a fair point - will do :)

    Colin Wilson, Sep 19, 2004
  5. Jerome M. Katz

    David Casey Guest

    I disagree. ;-) One of the very first things I did upon receiving my
    Dimension 8400 (after making sure it worked) was to do a clean
    reinstallation of Windows XP. That way, I was able to determine what
    should or shouldn't be installed and not some tech at Dell who was just
    following a list. :)
    Google has saved me many hours of frustration. If you don't find your
    problem anywhere on Usenet but later figure it out, send a post to the
    right group describing your problem and how it was fixed. That way the
    next person can find it.
    :)

    David Casey, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Jerome M. Katz

    Phred Guest

    Here in Oz, 3 out of 4 PC mags have SP2 on their cover CDs for Oct
    2004. So you can get a copy for around AUD8.00... which seems
    perfectly reasonable to me, especially as one of the mags has a large
    "insert" of 70+ pages giving a lot of detail and advice on the service
    pack.

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Jerome M. Katz

    Brissie Guest

    Or you can get it free from Microsoft when the patch for SP2 comes out
    - mid-October. Same as they did with SP1a, SP2a will be available on
    CD for free. MS Posts it out to you

    Brissie, Sep 20, 2004
  8. Jerome M. Katz

    WSZsr Guest

    Dream on.........

    WSZsr, Sep 20, 2004
  9. Jerome M. Katz

    Phred Guest

    Yeah. I got that CD of general updates/patches for the older OSes
    that they gave away some time ago. But, as you say, the SP2 thing
    won't be available that way for a month or more yet. In which case
    that mag with the big insert of comments and instructions may be a
    better way to go, especially if you want the security improvements
    now.

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Sep 20, 2004
  10. Jupiter Jones, Sep 20, 2004
  11. Jerome M. Katz

    WSZsr Guest

    He was referring to a revised or patched version of SP2. It would be a
    first for Microsoft.

    WSZsr, Sep 20, 2004
  12. I missed that.
    Updates SP-2 is a rumor that has been going around and is false.
    There are no plans for SP-2a or anything like it.
    There will most likely be other patches but SP-2 will not be changed.

    Jupiter Jones, Sep 21, 2004
  13. Jerome M. Katz

    Mathew M. Guest

    The job card on a certain customer's box that came in today:
    "Installed server pack 2. No longer boots."

    MS's SP2 CD was still in the drive.

    I've seen SP2 kill quite a few machines so far. Probably 20%-30% of the
    machines I have tried it on.

    --
    Mathew M. <>
    GPG public key ID: 0x3DDC1413

    This post contains a chemical or chemicals known to the state of California
    to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. This (these)
    chemical(s) may be harmful to your health.

    Mathew M., Sep 21, 2004
  14. Jerome M. Katz

    Mathew M. Guest

    Mathew M., Sep 21, 2004
  15. Jerome M. Katz

    Phred Guest

    No need. I saw some time ago that they were available now in the US.
    I assumed the OP was talking about availability here in Oz. (And I've
    already got three copies off those mag CDs anyway. ;-)

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Sep 21, 2004
  16. Jerome M. Katz

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Sorry, I'm late to this party: What "broadband hour" are we talking about?
    With my cable connection the entire process of installing SP 2, from
    'checking your computer' to restart, took 21 minutes. I used Windows Update
    and downloaded a 79MB patch with a standard Comcast account.

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 21, 2004
  17. I have Comcast also, it took me about 30 minutes on the
    download/install/restart. Then about another 20-30 minutes
    tidying the odd thing up. NAV 2002 wasn't eligible for the
    update that allows NAV to talk to the new security center, and
    the security center didn't find my firewall, so it activated the
    Windows [nee ICF] firewall. So I had to adjust that. The IE6
    pop-up stopper was activated. Since I use a freebie/shareware
    stopper only on sites that are troublesome, the Bill Gates "we
    know what's best for you" always on unless you've white-listed a
    web site stopper was a non-starter. A couple of other minor
    things had to be fine-tuned.

    Other than those, expected since I had done my homework before MS
    Update told me I could download SP2, minor tweaks, SP2 has been
    purring along right smartly, with no adverse effects on any of my
    programs. And at one point or another, I've activated and used
    most all of my programs that I'm likely to use. [i.e., I have
    never burned a CD on my home machine, so I haven't run the EZ-CD
    program. OTOH, though I've never used the Corel WordPerfect
    Office's Paradox data base program, I did test that one, along
    with those programs in the WP Office suite that my clients do
    use.]

    Ogden Johnson III, Sep 21, 2004
  18. Jerome M. Katz

    David Casey Guest

    I don't know, I didn't write the "broadband hour" part. I can't remember
    how long it took me to download it, but a 266MB file would go pretty
    quickly with my 1.5Mbps connection.

    It did take a bit of time to install when I installed it the first time,
    but went much quicker when I installed it the second time. That time I did
    a clean install of Windows XP and as soon as I got to the desktop I ran the
    SP2 update.

    David Casey, Sep 21, 2004
  19. Jerome M. Katz

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Based on what sample (number, models, etc)? I've installed it on a1/2 dozen
    and only one minor glitch that MS had a work around posted for it.

    Hank Arnold, Sep 22, 2004