    Can I set some parameters?

    Thankful for answers.

    Christer Mattsson

    Christer XX Mattsson, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Hi
    If you by a SPARC-10 mean a Sun SparcStation ULTRA 10, then I think you
    should set the CDROM drive to "Cable Select" or "CS", not "Master" or
    "Slave", that's atleast what I did on my Sun Blade 100 with a DVD drive.

    Greetings from Denmark
    Kent

    --
    PS. (Sorry, only in danish.)

    Er der nogen der mangler en mand med lidt viden om Sun HW og SW,
    så må I gerne sende mig en E-mail.
    Jeg er uddannet datamatiker og har senest arbejdet som teknisk presale
    konsulent.

    Kent Wormsdorf, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Hi Kent!

    Have tried that before. A definite no go.

    May be thet problem that I am trying to replace with an old IDE cdrom.

    Thanks for your prompt reply anyway.

    /Christer

    Christer XX Mattsson, Dec 29, 2003
  4. I just put in another CD Drive into my Ultra 10. The drive I removed
    was a GoldStar drive with a Sun part number on it. It says Goldstart
    on a big lable on the drive.

    The CD drive I removed was set to MASTER. The IDE drive uses cable
    select but in my system the CD did not. I am going to install CD-R
    drive soon in the system. Currently I am installing Gentoo linux on
    the Ultra 10.

    Gary K8IZ
    Washington State Resident
    Registered Linux User # 312991

    Gary P. Fiber, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Hi

    Hmmm....

    Try a new drive instead or try to find a drive like Sun used in the
    Ultra 10 either like this one:
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Removable_Media/RMVBL_24X_CDROM.html
    or this one:
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Removable_Media/RMVBL_32X_CDROM.html
    or this one:
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Removable_Media/RMVBL_48X_CDROM.html

    The CD-ROM I used in my Sun Blade 100 is a LITE-ONE Model LTN-485S, but
    after I have tried to reinstall it, I can't make it read a CD under
    Solaris 8?!?!??!
    So I use a DVD drive instead. :)

    Greeting

    Kent Wormsdorf

    --
    PS.

    Kent Wormsdorf, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Hi!

    On the one I tried to install I tried CS/M/S. I.e. all three possible
    settings. And it did not work.
    Will try to use the suggestion by Kent.

    /Christer

    Christer XX Mattsson, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Christer XX Mattsson

    CJT Guest

    FWIW, I just finished doing that successfully with an Ultra 5, which I
    believe has the same motherboard as an Ultra 10. All I did was a
    straight replacement of the original IDE CD-ROM drive with a generic
    (DVD, actually) drive. The one I took out was set as Master, so that's
    how I set the replacement. It worked perfectly the first time I powered
    it up.

    Should be a piece of cake.

    CJT, Dec 29, 2003