sparc workstation sales figures?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Chris Morgan, May 5, 2004.

  1. Chris Morgan

    Chris Morgan Guest

    Anybody know what Sun's total quarterly workstation sales figures are?
    I'd say less than 30k based on Sun's statement that SB150 does about
    15k units and SB1500/SB2500 nearly 10k, and that SB1500/2500 combines
    sales of 9369 amount to 18% of the total units.

    By contrast, Apple G5 (64-bit unix machine) is already at about 100-150k
    units per quarter by my estimate (Apple sells approaching 200k
    powermacs per quarter, and they say the proportion of G5 is "rich").

    http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2004-02/sunflash.20040217.1.html

    It's very depressing. in my opinion Sun should drop their prices for
    workstations.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent

    Chris Morgan, May 5, 2004

  2. Chris Morgan

    Andre Guest

    I don't think Sun actually wants to sell any workstations. I think they
    appear purely out of a sense of obligation.

    Frankly, I think Sun should be nearly giving them away in order to build
    a little more loyalty from the SysAdmins who make the decisions.

    Andre, May 7, 2004